Clean Water Action
Phone: (248) 514-9789
E-Mail: cmcgillivray@cleanwater.org

Monday, November 03, 2008

In Key Michigan Races, Hard Work, Persistence, Personal Contact, Makes Difference

Nearly 500,000 Michigan Environmental Voter Contacts

LANSING, MI-

For Clean Water Action in Michigan, the 2008 elections are as much about executing an effective and detailed grassroots voter contact plan as it is about the tens of millions of dollars being spent by candidates.

Clean Water Action reached out to its members and through its federal and state political action committees with the general public.  By Election Day, Clean Water Action estimates its grassroots organizers and canvassers will have made 498,000 voter contacts in Michigan.  This includes:

But sophisticated on-the-ground outreach efforts are neither new nor unusual for Clean Water Action.

 With more than 235,000 Michigan members, Clean Water Action has established a second-to-none reputation for savvy and highly-focused grassroots organizing.

 Recognized for its door-to-door canvassing and phone-banking efforts, Clean Water Action prides itself on direct contact with voters, identifying concerns – and then mobilizing voters to get out and vote, holding elected officials accountable for their actions on environmental and health issues.

"With all the attention placed on the record-breaking amounts of money raised and spent in this election cycle, it's important we also understand the important record-breaking personal contacts made in these key Michigan races," said Michigan Director Cyndi Roper.  "On Election Day, many voters will turn out to vote because someone – a friend, a neighbor, a family member – asked them to do so.  And on Election Day, it will be their votes that, in many key races across Michigan can – and will – make the difference."

 "One of our core principles is that grassroots organizing and personal contact empowers people to take action.  Now, more than ever, we need people to take action to protect Michigan waters, build healthy communities and make democracy work for all of us," said Michigan Campaigns Director Christy McGillivray.

 For the 2008 election cycle, Clean Water Action endorsed 38 candidates running for public office in Michigan, ranging from president to state legislative races.

 And, as voters prepare to choose a new president and Congress, the organization has placed significant grassroots focus in Michigan on the presidential contest, Congressional Districts 7 and 9, the Michigan Supreme Court race and House Districts 21, 23, 24, 32, 39, 61, 62, 91 and 101.

 "Clean Water Action takes great pride in being able to say that with many of these candidates we were there first, interviewing and endorsing them, and then going into neighborhoods, working door-to-door and educating voters in their districts about the issues," said McGillivray. "Now, with Election Day upon us, we expect and hope for gratifying results from our hard work over so many months."

###

Clean Water Action has been empowering people for more than 36 years to take action to protect America's waters, the health of our families and to make democracy work.

--
Christy McGillivray
Michigan Campaigns Director
Clean Water Action