E-M:/ track the green vote

A couple of students at Northwestern have a nifty tool for tracking the environmental impact of the election tonight. It's at http://envirovote.us/
This tool examines Congressional elections in the context of endorsements from environmental organizations. A meter registers as the votes come in - no movement as of this writing.
They also have invented a totally new term in the annals of election analysis: Enviromintiness.
Cool stuff. What's more, twitter fiends can follow at http://twitter.com/envirovote

Here's the explanation taken from the site:

The candidate in a race with the most endorsements is considered friendliest to the environment. When the race is decided, if the environmentally friendly candidate won the race, then the meter registers a win for the environment.

Below the bar, the meter shows a figure representing the percent change in environmentally-friendly candidates since the last elections. This is a touch more complicated.To calculate this number, we compare the current race with the last time the seat was up for election. For example, in a race for a seat in the U.S. House of Representatives, we look back to the election two years ago.

If two years ago the friendly candidate lost, and this year...

On the other hand, if two years ago the friendly candidate won, and this year...

We give each environmentally-friendly win one point, and add up the points for the current and previous races. We then subtract the previous points from the current points and divide by the number of races that we're comparing. This figure, multiplied by 100, represents the environmintiness of the elections.

--
David Poulson
Associate Director