E-M:/ Michiganders Vote to Protect Our Land, Air, and Water!

For Immediate Release                                                                                                                                    Contact: Abby Rubley
Wednesday, November 5, 2008                                                                                                                  734.222.9650

Michiganders Vote to Protect Our Land, Air, and Water!
At the local, state and federal level, Michigan League of Conservation Voters announces victory

Ann Arbor, Mich. -The Michigan League of Conservation Voters (Michigan LCV) proudly announced victory today for 29 of its endorsed candidates in the 2008 election cycle.  From Muskegon to Northport, from Detroit to Kalamazoo, the citizens of Michigan spoke loudly and clearly yesterday, sending a message of environmental protection to Lansing.

“Voters around the state broke from historical partisan preferences to tell Lansing that protecting our glorious natural resources and the health of our communities will no longer take a back seat in the Legislature,” said Michigan LCV Executive Director Lisa Wozniak.  “Nationwide, citizens overwhelmingly called for change last night, and Michigan was no exception.”

Citing critical victories like that of Dan Scripps in the 101st House District, Wozniak continued, “Dan won convincingly as a Democrat in an historically Republican district because he shares a common vision with his constituents: reviving the economy with renewable energy, and putting protection of Michigan’s natural resources at the top of the list of legislative priorities.”  Scripps defeated Ray Franz by a margin of 30,979 to 20,746 votes.

Michigan LCV also noted that voters in the 91st House District turned out to re-elect Mary Valentine, a first term Representative who made protecting the Great Lakes a priority in her first two years.  Her district includes the beauty of the Lake Michigan shoreline.

“From St. Clair Shores to Kent County to the Upper Peninsula, voters turned out to make their voices heard on Tuesday.  The message was loud and clear: there will not be business as usual in Lansing, and the wealth of this state that is its natural resources must be protected and restored,” stated Wozniak.

In addition to Michigan LCV’s great success at the state level, their work at the local and federal levels also paid off.  All six of Michigan LCV’s endorsed candidates for county commission seats in Oakland and Kent counties were victorious.  This is the first time Michigan LCV endorsed at the county level, a strategic decision given term limits and the importance of building leadership at the local level.

At the federal level, Michigan LCV’s partnering organization—the national League of Conservation Voters—pulled out all the stops for candidates Gary Peters and Mark Schauer, both of whom handily defeated Dirty Dozen incumbents Joe Knolleberg and Tim Walberg in their respective races.  More information on federal races can be found at http://www.lcv.org.

“Michiganders have been heard.  The 2008 Election has put us on track to create jobs and protect our majestic natural resources – at the county, the state and the national levels,” said Wozniak.

Michigan LCV’s top campaign wins include:

House District 91 – Mary Valentine

House District 101 – Dan Scripps

House District 39 – Lisa Brown

House District 24 – Sarah Roberts