Re: E-M:/ dolomite quarry, U.P.

Enviro-Mich message from Mark Stephens <mstephens@globaleei.com>

Michigan Limestone Operations was acquired a couple of years ago by Oglebay Norton, originally a shipping company from Cleveland. As part of their plan for diversification they have been acquiring quarries in Michigan. They seem to be a fairly responsible company, environmentally. I retired from the MDEQ, Air Quality Division in the Gaylord Office and regulated ON's Rogers City facility, for numerous years. When I identified problems at the site, generally excess dust emissions, they quickly remedied the problem. However, this is the company that is working with Wolverine Power on the coal-fired plant in Rogers City. The plant would be located in ON's quarry.

Anna Kirkwood Graham wrote:
Enviro-Mich message from "Anna Kirkwood Graham" <grahama9@msu.edu>

I am interested in knowing a little about the large dolomite/limestone operation just east of Cedarville in the Upper Peninsula. I believe it's called Michigan Limestone Operations at Point Dolomite. There is quite a bit of protected land in that area as well, and I am wondering if the quarry management has shown any interest in partnering with conservancies, whether their activities are known to be polluting or damaging in the vicinity, and I guess, what sort of corporate citizens they are in general.
Feel free to respond off-list or on ...
Thanks,
Anna
Anna Kirkwood Graham, J.D., Ph.D.
"There is no trifling with nature; it is always true, grave and severe; it is always in the right, and the faults and errors fall to our share."
-- Goethe