E-M:/ Nationalize Dow Chemical & Others?

Enviro-Mich message from mckennab@umd.umich.edu

EMers,

I need a few quotes from environmentalists for an article on Dow Chemical. . . .

The federal govt. is partnering and/or nationalizing several financial industries in the wake of the worldwide neoliberal crash. Of course, as Marx said (in Draper's State and Revolution), nationalizing industries without a revolutionary workers movement does not a progressive movement make. I do not know if that's true or not. But I do know that the corporate world is freaking out. Dow Chemical and Ford announced a national summit in Sept. to talk about, gasp, industrial and energy policy (see link below). It's scheduled for next June in Detroit and it hopes to mimic the Intl. social Forum in Switzerland. My questions to you,

1) how might an environmentalist view this?
2) Should we argue for nationalization of chemical, auto and energy industries in synchrony with planks like a negative income tax, full employment, Broader regulatory powers by EPA and Interior, free higher education and a re energized union movement?

Please let me know if I can quote you. . .

see DOW's view. . .
http://www.mlive.com/saginawnews/business/index.ssf/2008/09/dow_chemical_ford_execs_announ.html

Best,

Brian McKenna