Re: E-M:/ FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Michigan Delegation Split on Clean Energy and Conservation: League of Conservation Voters Releases 2008 National Environmental Scorecard

You raise the issue of radioactive wastes left over from uranium mining.

When I first dealt with this issue in Michigan in the late 1970's, Michigan
had a metallic mineral lease for public mineral lands that made
the State of Michigan the owner of such wastes when mining concluded and
the lease term was ended.

You may want to check on what is presently done with Michigan's present
form of metallic mineral leasing documents use for publicly held mineral lands
sought by mining and exploration interests.

While I'm at this....what kind of public access is presently being accorded and what
kind of environmental review is being done on proposals for auction sales of public
metallic and non-metallic mineral lands?

Regards,  Alex Sagady

At 04:45 PM 11/10/2008, Kay Cumbow wrote:

>For that matter, how can any citizen in Michigan advocate for uranium mining (necessary for nuclear power) in the U.P - or anywhere? (Or coal, that harms our lungs and destroys mountains, rivers, communities, as well?) And why do it, when there are more cost-effective, efficient, safer, saner, cleaner, faster ways to answer our energy needs? And, is there something wrong with teaching conservation? Why must the citizens of the U.S. have a reputation as energy hogs? Why must we waste so much energy? Why can't utilities and cities, and counties sink the dollars into efficiency and wind and solar, or perhaps geothermal, that they have sunk into expensive, polluting and dangerous nuclear power that creates lethal wastes that must be isolated for millions of years? After all, it is a solid investment in the health of our children and will help pay for itself by not generating wastes that bring expensive clean-up at either the mining sites or the waste storage sites. And how does anyone propose to keep radioactive wastes with half-lives in the tens of thousands of years, or millions of years, (like iodine 129, with a half-life of 15.7 million years) from leaking out and damaging our collective gene pool, our oceans, our groundwater, our amazing ecosystem?

657 Spartan Avenue,  East Lansing, MI  48823
(517) 332-6971; ajs@sagady.com