E-M:/ Get Your Team Ready for Spring Garden Development!

(please help us spread the word!)

Growing Hope Invites Applicants Ready to Start Planning a New Community or School Garden!

Community & School Garden Development Institute, Winter 2009 Tues evenings, Jan 13-Feb 10

Already dreaming of springtime?  Growing Hope’s Community & School Garden Development Institute (CSGDI) is a series of practical and hands-on classes for groups interested in starting and maintaining organic community and school gardens. The Institute covers key aspects of developing and sustaining projects, emphasizing how your garden team can effectively plan, develop, and maintain your garden. Sessions do not emphasize horticultural skills outside of basic garden design, and groups are responsible for building and maintaining their own gardens. To qualify for the Institute, interested groups must apply and have at least 6 dedicated garden team members-- 4 members must attend all 5 Institute sessions. “Groups” is defined broadly, and can be neighborhood or community groups, faith-based organizations, non-profit agencies or service clubs, schools, groups of neighbors or businesses.

The CSGDI is your group’s opportunity to get your garden project plan developed, and become a part of Growing Hope’s network of over 25 community & school garden sites in Washtenaw County.  Affiliated gardens get to take advantage of Growing Hope’s technical assistance, tool & curriculum lending library, and opportunities for networking, marketing, mentoring, and volunteer recruitment. The course is free, but donations are encouraged.  Growing Hope staff can present to you group in November or December to help you raise awareness and put together your garden team.  Past participants have said,

The CSGDI “is so valuable! Totally worth it. It forces you to think through your project and proceed with logical steps to accomplish your goals”

For information and a copy of the application please contact Karen at 786.8401 or karen@growinghope.net

Growing Hope is dedicated to helping people improve their lives and communities through gardening and healthy food access. Based in Ypsilanti, Michigan, we work with neighborhoods, schools, community groups, and families to develop and sustain organic community growing spaces; we build on the strengths of individuals and the community to bring the benefits of gardens and healthy food to all.

Amanda Maria Edmonds
Executive Director, Growing Hope
734.330.7576

"We must be the change we wish to see in the world."
"To forget to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves."
-Mahatma Gandhi