[Date Prev][Date Next][Date Index]
Re: E-M:/ more Mich. journos take a hit
- Subject: Re: E-M:/ more Mich. journos take a hit
- From: "Eric Baerren" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 11:19:34 -0500
- Cc: email@example.com
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to :subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=q+hqQq8A8B0DnNKxAXCTrMXLV77lav1sCnTke+0W4+w=; b=ili7+jJ1F+dstSAjdOCAAf1398n+YQPPZ2Rn6SAxhn9MME0sE7CA8q6d33McaK/eTI CpsDh+T27zzSK+WrJLS9QR0H0V3fXtpLEuDLsTNnJZxinPrHy4HzfXxRrcyzV69WvUQ+ rXGhMxqidBh1lVtJoCuM8/veFKzcnuFL+9K8I=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version :content-type:references; b=uUWe75KszYE7nziNHuG1+XesgJOhOOT3eVaTz6N/ji6PaiVH6D4iGu8ybngUiAbCxd YIrztmcTaoFtGHr7RNX8ZbUvhgI1ifV9MyAOLi7Dh3rNkm4tlU+YzMAZnstChZ9p4xJZ HNwehtsfuYjb2s8HBrXlRLZGfGrk3xpVU+zmw=
- In-reply-to: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-name: Enviro-Mich
- References: <email@example.com>
- Reply-to: "Eric Baerren" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Yesterday's lay offs here in Mt. Pleasant involved the reporter whose beat meant most of Isabella County's environmental coverage. The editor means a loss not just of 15 years of experience, but also important quality control.
This is a paper that remains relatively profitable. When I got whacked by JRC two years ago, they issued an actual press release (not about me personally, but about all the people they laid off and reorganizations made that the company promised would make them competitive once again). There was no similar press release yesterday, and I'm guessing that when they got delisted from the stock exchange earlier this year (the stock now costs about a penny a share) they no longer saw any value in sharing that information. At least, I haven't seen anything about cuts at the other JRC papers in its Michigan cluster.
I'm assuming this week's news explains a lot of the newspaper-related gallows humor I'm seeing on Facebook.
On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 10:41 AM, David Poulson <email@example.com>
Editor and a reporter go down at one of the Journal Register properties right next door to the Pine River Superfund site.
This post independently verified: http://www.michiganliberal.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=13993
Journal Register also has Oakland Press, Macomb Daily, Royal Oak Tribune. The chain's Connecticut publications already in big trouble: http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=123&aid=154148
Note this quote: "Should some of Journal Register's Michigan or suburban Philadelphia papers fail, neither the two Detroit papers nor the Philadelphia Inquirer is in shape to provide much coverage."
Latest on Booth downsizing here: http://lin.cr/9og
Breaking Booth news to read or report here: http://search.twitter.com/search?q=%23booth
Are there any Michigan reporters left to cover this story?
Knight Center for Environmental Journalism
Michigan State University
517 432 5417
Editor and owner