Re: E-M:/ more Mich. journos take a hit

Yesterday's lay offs here in Mt. Pleasant involved the reporter whose beat meant most of Isabella County's environmental coverage.  The editor means a loss not just of 15 years of experience, but also important quality control.

This is a paper that remains relatively profitable.  When I got whacked by JRC two years ago, they issued an actual press release (not about me personally, but about all the people they laid off and reorganizations made that the company promised would make them competitive once again).  There was no similar press release yesterday, and I'm guessing that when they got delisted from the stock exchange earlier this year (the stock now costs about a penny a share) they no longer saw any value in sharing that information.  At least, I haven't seen anything about cuts at the other JRC papers in its Michigan cluster.

I'm assuming this week's news explains a lot of the newspaper-related gallows humor I'm seeing on Facebook.