E-M:/ "Journey Through the Arctic: An Odyssey Through an Imperiled Landscape" on Tuesday November 18 in Ann Arbor

Friends,

Please join us at a free public program this Tuesday, November 18 in Ann Arbor when we'll hear from noted author and filmmaker Chad Kister of the Arctic Refuge Defense Campaign about his Journey Through the Arctic:  An Odyssey Through an Imperiled Landscape.

Chad Kister will take us along on his 700 mile journey by foot and raft through the Prudhoe Bay oil fields and the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.   It was quite an adventure.  Chad nearly died of starvation when he couldn't catch fish due to habitat destruction caused by oil production, and later he had a close call due to hypothermia when he was flushed down a flooded river.  He'll show us the magnificent landscapes and wildlife -- including polar bear, musk ox and walrus -- of northern-most Alaska, as well as the devastation that has been caused by oil development.  He will also introduce us to the native peoples whose culture is imperiled by even more extreme schemes to "drill baby drill."

No membership is required to attend.  Newcomers are welcome to this family-friendly, public event, which begins at 7:30 pm at the lovely Matthaei Botanical Gardens (map here - directions below).

After the presentation, we invite you to stay for refreshments and to mingle with friendly people who share your interest in nature.  You can learn about local Sierra Club activities like hiking, skiing, and our conservation projects.

We'll be selling nature-friendly organic coffee and tea, and EarthCash shopping vouchers.   With EarthCash you can help stop sprawl when you shop at many of your favorite stores -- at no additional cost to you.  Both wall and desk size 2009 Sierra Club calendars will be available.  Same prices -- lowest anywhere -- for the third straight year.  You can also order Sierra Club holiday cards for mid-December delivery.  Everything is available for purchase by cash or check.

Please feel free to forward this message to others who might be interested.

Doug Cowherd
Chair, Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group
~~~
The Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group's public programs are normally held on the third Tuesday of each month at the Matthaei Botanical Gardens, located at 1800 N. Dixboro Road (between Geddes and Plymouth roads, just east of Ann Arbor and US-23), beginning at 7:30 pm.  Meetings are free and open to the public.  Next month's meeting:

December 16:    Great Adventure Trips Around the Globe

For more information about all local Sierra Club activities:   http://www.michigan.sierraclub.org/huron/