[Date Prev][Date Next][Date Index]
Re: E-M:/ Michigan Newspapers
- Subject: Re: E-M:/ Michigan Newspapers
- From: "Eric Baerren" <email@example.com>
- Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 10:02:50 -0500
- Cc: "David Poulson" <firstname.lastname@example.org>, email@example.com
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to :subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=BT4GED9fxQlncCve2NEFuX3QHPzBgBj6gWU+kPjDDOM=; b=eQBS29s62MzxCHNeqB6wzZLynl+q7QePojhipT0oH3btDuEM9FZLjqANGhDFbdZ6WN XH3F/pl3adcBIxdMRyKNzqbikaEd+/cqKcugIztm3UC1zRBuosiy9d6Lto0tCeKHYNEO Rt8u//XtbYPPuaW1OJlWqru/DZ4r1kXmgI0cI=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version :content-type:references; b=a1OF1cEMclhfonB8/FrrRFm42ya32BtI7e7UbCOOaEUPEyvas0JFt+JBkpGBmtdQjn NsA/NmKQb2/+ScJM5bXxi9nvciC9C4azrAuypTSTeH8bRJWN/UykzhYEQ/OeLKEtOH3n qPS/cOxdFEuj/U+e2+AwOOJzJY93fvaiodyZA=
- In-reply-to: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-name: Enviro-Mich
- References: <email@example.com>
- Reply-to: "Eric Baerren" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
I have a suggestion -- go Web only.
Printing the newspaper on dead trees requires the cost of maintaining and staffing a printing press. Pixels are almost free. There are a few big papers -- the Christian Science Monitor -- who are already going this route (the CSM doesn't print a daily edition anymore, and sticks with pixels during the workweek).
It's not generating revenue, per se, but it is eliminating basically all of the costs associated with operating a newspaper -- printing press, circulation, classified ads, even management to coordinate all of those things. After start up costs for equipment, marketing, and site design, I think you could fund an entire local news operation for less than $200,000 a year, almost all of which would be salaries for reporters, visual media specialists, and an editor.
On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 9:52 AM, Erich Ditschman <email@example.com>
I enjoyed your column today and agree that the loss of professional journalism is a threat to our democracy.
Do you have some suggestions on how our news services can make money so that they can stay in business?
Perhaps a silver lining is that we are saving some trees and polluting less rivers.
From: David Poulson <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2008 9:17:09 AM
Subject: E-M:/ Michigan Newspapers
I wrote this for LSJ: http://tinyurl.com/5rsdt5
I'm posting here because I believe that it has particular implications for environmental protection.
Knight Center for Environmental Journalism
Michigan State University
517 432 5417
Editor and owner