E-M:/ Job Posting from Ecology Center

Environmental Health Grassroots & Online Organizer

The Ecology Center is seeking a talented person to direct our grassroots and online campaigns in environmental health, leading citizen engagement efforts to prevent toxic chemical pollution, promote green chemistry and safer alternatives, and reform our state and federal chemical regulatory system.

Organization

The Ecology Center is a Michigan-based environmental organization that works for a safe and healthy environment where people live, work, and play. Founded in 1970, the Ecology Center has approximately 14 staff persons.  In recent years, the Ecology Center has led successful campaigns to close down Michigan's medical waste incinerators, improve the environmental performance of the auto industry, and save thousands of acres of working farms and valuable natural areas.  We have also launched the highly successful HealthToys.org and HealthyCar.org consumer websites and databases, using our strong expertise in toxics and chemical policy reform.  Ecology Center leads the statewide coalition, Michigan Network for Children’s Environmental Health.

Our staff are advocates who translate cutting edge environmental science into calls for changes in policy and in the marketplace. We work in an informal, team atmosphere, where individual initiative is expected and respected.  The Ecology Center is the parent organization of Recycle Ann Arbor, also a nonprofit organization, which operates the premier recycling program in the state of Michigan.

Job Responsibilities

The Environmental Health Grassroots & Online Organizer will:

1)    Design and implement the grassroots components of key environmental health state policy campaigns within the Ecology Center, such as building and maintaining a core of volunteer activists, engaging key media contacts, conducting town hall meetings, and enlisting key supporters in critical geographic areas.

2)    Coordinate and motivate the field/grassroots efforts of key partners and allies in the Ecology Center’s environmental health work, including through the Michigan Network for Children’s Environmental Health’s campaigns to protect children from toxics in toys, advance green chemistry and grow Michigan’s green economy, and stop dangerous flame retardants and pesticides.

3)    Lead our online activist engagement strategies for HealthyToys.org, HealthyCar.org and state/federal chemical policy reform, including implementing creative strategies for engagement.  This includes tapping into our vast national database of supporters as well as coordinating e-activist communications from the Ecology Center.

4)    Implement the Ecology Center’s strategy for influencing the federal and national debate on toxic chemical policy.  This includes coordinating outreach to Michigan’s Congressional delegation, interacting with coalition partners across the country, and utilizing our online capacity to advance the issue.

Qualifications

The ideal candidate for this position has enthusiasm for and interest in stopping toxic chemical threats to children, reforming our chemical policy system, promoting safer alternatives, and protecting/enhancing our collective public and environmental health.

The ideal candidate has experience in community development and organizing; strong writing, communication, computer, and leadership skills; relevant academic background in environmental policy, organizing, public health or related areas; and demonstrated success in non-profit campaign management and leadership.  The ideal candidate has experience in online advocacy.

Compensation: Salary is commensurate with relevant professional experience. The Ecology Center offers very generous benefits, including medical, dental and retirement.

To Apply

Please send a cover letter, resume, and a current writing sample by email to jobs@ecocenter.org. Alternatively, please fax to (734) 663-2414, or mail to Ecology Center, 117 N. Division, Ann Arbor, MI 48104. For more information, please call (734) 761-3186 ext. 108.  Applications accepted until position is filled but priority given to those received prior to December 5.