Re: E-M:/ Interesting: vortex-induced vibrations for aquatic clean energy

Enviro-Mich message from "Anna Kirkwood Graham" <grahama9@msu.edu>

And the other aspect of any energy technology is that the number of people using energy continues to grow, globally -- neither old nor new technologies will be sustainable long if we do not address constant population growth, no matter how much energy we try to conserve. The addition of users always offsets efforts to conserve.

I often think of this in the context of water; so we drain all the freshwater, desalinate the salt -- where does it end? Imagine if we're also stressing the oceans by harnessing the currents for energy all over the world.
Bottom line is, we can't sustain anything in the context of limitless growth ...

While it's true that using such new technology may be better than using
fossil fuels, too often we forget that our primary goal should be using less
energy, not finding new sources for it. Cheaper, more available electricity
has one significant downside; people use more energy if it's cheaper. Let's
say we can find a very inexpensive way to charge the batteries of electric
vehicles. How will that affect the number of miles driven? If we can drive
more cheaply, won't that mean more accidents, bigger cars, more highway
construction, a possible death blow to mass transit, etc? Isn't what we
really want to do is to instill an energy conservation ethic in people?
Cheap oil set into place an accelerating process of use more oil, drill for
more oil, oil gets cheaper, use more oil, drill for more oil, oil gets
cheaper, etc., with all the negative aspects of both using and drilling.
How can we prevent the same thing from happening with alternative sources of
energy?

-doug-