To: <enviro-mich@great-lakes.net>
Sent: Friday, December 05, 2008 3:12 PM
Subject: Re: E-M:/ Cost appproaching $1M for one deer with CWD

I do not think the Public has been told enough about the risks from this problem, no doubt to avoid alarming them; however, the courageous actions of the MDNR are not getting the public cooperation that is needed. Many people are still feeding and baiting deer, and these practices are likely to spread CWD.

The cost of what could easily happen to the tourism (hunting) and the cattle industries absolutely dwarf the testing costs. There is fairly good (enough) anecdotal evidence that the CWD prion can jump to deer to people and from deer to cattle. Given what has happened with other prion diseases like mad cow disease, this should not be surprising.

I think the Michigan Dept of Agriculture, not the MDNR, should pay this bill. There have been plenty of warnings that CWD would come in if deer and elk were imported from the west, yet politicians like state senator VanWoerkom, R-Norton Shores and chair of the MI Senate Ag Committee, seem to have promoted this practice.