Re: E-M:/ Cost appproaching $1M for one deer with CWD

Enviro-Mich message from ldnum@umich.edu

I figured someone would want this information, so if it is really important/useful, I will help to get the references such as they are.

For starters, please remember that this is cited as mostly anecdotal, i.e., not peer-reviewed, published studies. I think that most of it is reports on incidents in Wisconsin and points west. That summary comes from a colleague doing research on a similar protein in bacteria.

At this stage, however, anecdotal evidence and simple correlations are where the research process begins. Obviously, humans studies are extremely limited, and this disease process is a very slow one. Those who have followed the mad cow disease (also a prion disease)in Britain will know how difficult it was to get hard evidence. Even without strong hardcore evidence, it now seems legitimate to talk about risks in a different way.