E-M:/ "Great Adventure Trips Around the Globe" -- Tuesday, December 16 in Ann Arbor

Friends,

The next Sierra Club monthly program -- free and open to the public -- is coming up on Tuesday, December 16.

Tuesday's program is titled Great Adventure Trips Around the Globe.  This program will offer short stories about a diverse set of outdoor adventures.  In years past, we've seen pictures of hiking, biking, canoeing, skiing, and bird-watching trips in fabulous places from Alaska to Hawaii, the Upper Peninsula to Utah, the Everglades to Isle Royal, and Africa to Canada.  Every year the list of adventures is a surprise -- because the presenters are so diverse.

This is an opportunity for anyone (member or non-member) to share memories of a fun nature-oriented trip from recent years with our audience.

Gone on a great trip lately?  You're welcome to bring up to 15 nature-themed slides for inclusion in the program.  If you want to use Powerpoint instead of our conventional slide projector, please send your 15 digital pictures to Ed Steinman at esteinma@umich.edu no later than 3 PM Tuesday, 12/16.  Please use medium or lower resolution photos in your powerpoint presentations or photo albums to keep file sizes reasonable; each photo should be no more 500KB or so.  If you want to use conventional slides in our carousel projector, just show up by 7:20 pm on Tuesday to hand the slides to Ed.

Newcomers are welcome to this free, family-friendly event, which begins at 7:30 pm at the lovely Matthaei Botanical Gardens (map) in Ann Arbor.

After the presentation, we invite you to stay for the social hour to mingle with friendly people who share your interest in nature.  In keeping with the holiday spirit, we'll have a special dessert table.  If the spirit moves you, please bring some sweets or treats to share.

Still need some holiday gifts?
  We'll be selling Sierra Club wall calendars and engagement calendars for 2009, as well as fair-trade, organic coffee and tea.  We also have a nice selection of both holiday and general Sierra Club cards (by the box, with envelopes), suitable for mailing or framing.  And as always, we have EarthCash shopping vouchers, available for purchase by cash or check.  With EarthCash you can help stop sprawl when you shop at many of your favorite stores -- at no additional cost to you.

Please feel free to forward this message to others who might be interested.

Doug Cowherd
Chair, Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group
~~~

The Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group's public programs are normally held on the third Tuesday of each month at the Matthaei Botanical Gardens, located at 1800 N. Dixboro Road (between Geddes and Plymouth roads, just east of Ann Arbor and US-23), beginning at 7:30 pm.  Meetings are free and open to the public.  Next month's meeting:

January 20:    Michigan's Pigeon River:  History and Habitat of the Lower Peninsula's Largest Wild Place

Dale Clarke Franz -- author of Pigeon River Country

For more information about all local Sierra Club activities:   http://www.michigan.sierraclub.org/huron/