Re: E-M:/ Dow clean-up lacks transparency

In a message dated 12/19/2008 1:54:49 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, gehenry@chartermi.net writes:
McCann said even with direct negotiations, it will probably still take until the end of 2009 before a cleanup plan is finalized.“We can’t have hundreds of people sitting at the table,” he said. “We’re not trying to shut out the public, but we have to work with fewer people or we’ll never get anywhere.”
Bob McCann,  "hundreds of people sitting at the table" ? Throw out another red herring why don't you. To suggest in anyway that public participation  hinders progress on this cleanup is absurd at best. Progress has been delayed because of Dow Chemical's deficient work plans, their failure to honor their RCRA corrective actions obligations and their incessant and successful efforts to take this cleanup out of the regulatory arena and move it to the political arena. Whenever progress is on the horizon Dow runs to EPA HQ or to the Governor. Truth is you never get anywhere because politicians care more about what corporations want and less about the public, their health and their involvement.  Lack of progress is firmly planted at the feet past and present political administrations.

Michelle Hurd Riddick
Lone Tree Council