Re: E-M:/ Dow clean-up lacks transparency

Does anyone know if McCann is a seniority holdover from the Engler administration or is he a born-again pro-polluter Republican?

In a message dated 12/22/2008 1:30:20 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, lang.sc.oak@hotmail.com writes:
McCann is talking out of both sides of his mouth (again).  How many times in the past have you heard DEQ people urging that, as "stakeholders," businesses should have a seat at the table?  Citizen stakeholders have a greater claim for inclusion.  Transparency has never meant having "hundreds" of seats.  I'm sure most of us would settle for half a dozen reporters at the table.  --  Jim Lang

From: gehenry@chartermi.net
To: enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
Subject: E-M:/ Dow clean-up lacks transparency
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 13:54:13 -0500

Group: Dow's dioxin clean-up plans lack transparency

BY TINA LAM • FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER • December 19, 2008

A decision to start closed-door negotiations between state and federal environmental regulators and Dow Chemical Co. over how to clean up the largest dioxin-contaminated site in the nation is a mistake, environmental groups said.
The closed door process doesn’t allow public input on the final decision on how to clean up 50 miles of contaminated rivers near and downstream from Dow’s Midland plant, and may result in it being incomplete, several environmental groups said Wednesday in a letter to Steven Johnson, director of the Environmental Protection Agency. “Given that one of the nation’s premier natural resources is at stake, this is unacceptable,” the letter said.
McCann said even with direct negotiations, it will probably still take until the end of 2009 before a cleanup plan is finalized.“We can’t have hundreds of people sitting at the table,” he said. “We’re not trying to shut out the public, but we have to work with fewer people or we’ll never get anywhere.”

Tell me again, why are we negotiating this for the 4th time since 2002?  Kathy

It’s the same Hotmail®. If by “same” you mean up to 70% faster. Get your account now. =