Re: E-M:/ New tapeworm found in Great Lakes fish

Enviro-Mich message from ldnum@umich.edu

When I studied invertebrate zoology eons ago, we were told that the Great Lakes region is a hot spot for diversity of parasitic worms and essentially all fish are infected to some degree requiring thorough cooking. I do not have references to cite, but during the intervening years, I have seen reports supporting this.

Sashimi (raw fish)is not a good idea. Even some marine fish are questionable.

Nonetheless, it is disturbing to see now species appearing. When will there be better efforts to restrict import of live materials?