Re: E-M:/ Individual Energy Activism, Restaurants

Frank, this is such a great idea and perfect for a non-profit or individual like yourself to get a grant for.

Not only is the commercial building payback for CFLs 6 months to a year which is like putting the same money spent on CFLs in a savings account earning 100-200% interest, it's an even faster payback when you add in air conditioning savings (reduced heat removal) and reduced maintenance costs (bulb changing).

The payback and pollution avoided are even greater when CFLs are used in cold cases, walk in coolers and cold storage facilities. (the payback is only weeks not months)

CFL vs coal is a dead horse. So is Prius vs SmartCar. CFLs and Priuses win.

But LEDs still have a huge way to go (unit cost, installed cost, improper installation, improper application, etc) before they offer a clear money savings opportunity.

We can't expect businesses to light themselves with hemp candles. So we must offer a less ridiculous alternative that will reduce pollution AND save money (that filthy buck that everybody sneers at but slugs to get)

Recycling is still the weakspot with CFLs but regardless, they are THE low hanging energy savings fruit. (turning off lights is conservation, not efficiency) When money savings, labor reductions and bank interest equivalent are sold as ideas inter-related to pollution avoidance, the thing we are trying to sell becomes far more attractive than just forcing it down the customer's throat just on the "environmental" principle that people outside the choir haven't bought into yet.

"avoids pollution AND saves money" is something I learned 7 years ago from Dr. Debra Rowe (on this list) at a community college. You'd think by now that statement would be the norm in broad environmental and energy messaging. But it's not.

Even some home performance industry leaders here in the vaunted San Francisco bay area don't know how to sell energy savings. Somebody calls and says "my bills are high, my house is too cold or too hot and there's a moisture and odor and dust problem". So the home performance people do a blower door test and then recommend duct balancing/sealing/rework, $500 Home Depot 80% efficient furnace, (less maintenance and other issues), an air exchanger, evelope sealing, insulation, a double sealed attic hatch assembly, basement/crawlspace sealing, a couple new doors and windows (not all) and a couple other simple things. No solar, no heat pumps, no home automation or other fancy things that offer little bang for the buck. But the customer balks at the $25,000 price with only a $700 annual energy savings and no solar sexiness or gadgetry.

Should the installer pocket the blower door fee and walk away? Or try to rephrase the customer's original desires and get them to buy the project?

The answer is break it down. $25,000 divided by 3 = about $8,000. Ask the customer: "is it worth $8,000 to have more comfort? (they just bought $8,000 in living room furniture) "yes". Ok. "is it worth $8,000 to save $700 a year in energy? (the payback is 10 years or 8% bank interest) "yes". Ok. "Is it worth $8,000 to get at least $8,000 or more in resale value AND a faster sale when you need to move? "yes". Ok, job sold.

"but I don't want people to think I'm just a sleazy salesperson". This is a very passive and delusional attitude because whoever says this IS a salesperson everytime they try to tell somebody to respect the environment for the environment's sake.

We can either feel guilty and superior about not using Republican sales tactics that work well and make them rich or we can use those techniques against them to sell energy & environmental issues successfully outside the choir. Right now, as we speak, Republicans are studying the success of MoveOn.org to beat us at our own game next election.

In some ways, environmentalism is moving rapidly in the right direction, solar is sexy, pollution regs & incentives are coming, hopefully home performance retrofits will be mandatory, etc.

But in other ways, environmentalism is moving very slowly ("it shouldn't be about money, it should be about the environment") and years later we will look back at various points in time where we could have sped up the evolution process.

We should stop wasting time insisting people believe in OUR goals while we ignore theirs.

As long as they save energy and are good to the environment, who cares if they did it to save money? When it comes to things that don't have an economic incentive, we can cross that bridge when we get to it. At least by then, the notion of environmental benefits will already be positively ingrained and understood and be more likely to be supported.

We need to meet people where THEY are because they will eventually come around to our way (environmental health) once they see that their needs (financial) can also be met.

By nature, people WANT to be nice.

Mike Cohn