Sent: Tuesday, January 06, 2009 3:27 PM
Subject: E-M:/ if meetings were cleanups, Dow Chemical/Midland/Saginaw would now be spotless

CONTACT: (EPA) Mick Hans, 312-353-5050, hans.mick@epa.gov
(EPA) Anne Rowan, 312-353-9391, rowan.anne@epa.gov
(MDEQ) Bob McCann, 517-241-7397

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
No. 09-OPA001

Tri-Cities dioxin cleanup meeting Jan. 15, 7 P.M.

(Chicago, Ill. - Jan. 5, 2009) U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
Region 5  and Michigan Department of Environmental Quality will host a
meeting on short- and long-term plans to clean up dioxin in the
Tittabawassee and Saginaw Rivers and Saginaw Bay. The meeting will be at
7 p.m., Thursday, Jan. 15 at Saginaw Valley State University, Curtiss
Hall, Seminar Rooms, 7400 Bay Road, Saginaw. EPA and MDEQ officials will
be available for informal discussions beginning at 6:30 p.m.

EPA is starting new negotiations with MDEQ and Dow Chemical Co. on a
process that can be used to develop a comprehensive cleanup plan under
the "Superfund Alternative Approach."  This approach uses normal
Superfund procedures and encourages public involvement throughout the
process.

More information is online at
http://www.epa.gov/region5/sites/dowchemical/ and at
http://www.michigan.gov/deq (click on "Dioxin Information"). Residents
with questions or who need special accommodations at the meeting may
contact Patti Krause, EPA Community Involvement Coordinator,
800-621-8431, Ext. 69506, or krause.patricia@epa.gov.

Dioxins are highly toxic compounds that pose serious risks to human
health and the environment. Dioxins and furans come from the production
of chlorine-based products. Past waste disposal practices, fugitive
emissions and incineration at Dow resulted in dioxin and furan
contamination at areas within Dow's 1,900-acre Midland facility and
off-site areas in the Tri-Cities.

                                 # # #