Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 18:39:07 +0000
From: mgroenleer@comcast.net
To: lang.sc.oak@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: E-M:/ Is Vreba-Hoff violating water diversion laws?

I understand your point, but with respect to the GLC and our water laws as currently written, I think it is a "distinction without a difference".

Many Michigan dairies export milk.  Michigan is the 9th largest dairy state with approximately 4% of total US milk production.  Is your objection to only production of powdered milk out of state?  What about processing as fluid milk or into cheese?  The water is just as "gone" from the watershed as is the extracted water from powdered milk production.

I would love to see Michigan get more into the "value added" segments of agricultural (cheese, evaporated, and powdered milk) as a supplement to the production of just commodities (milk).  I applaud the State in trying to help this effort through their agricultural processing renaissance zones.