Governor Granholm has emphasized the importance of clean energy, but Governor Patterson of New York is putting his state’s money where his mouth is -- see quotes and notes from Sierra Club’s NY director with a link below:
Paterson prioritized a clean energy economy for
is expensive, unpredictable, and can be disastrous to an economy,”
This is the first time since the Governor presented his devastatingly bleak State budget recommendations that he has presented any hope for the State to pull through these tough times successfully. Finally, he has announced a plan, and … green job creation through energy efficiency is one of his top priorities.
is a summary of forthcoming program bills and recommendations that Governor
Paterson is calling for in order to move
1. “45 by 15” – By 2015, New York will meet 45 percent of its electricity needs through improved energy efficiency and clean renewable energy by increasing the Renewable Portfolio Standard to 30 percent and decreasing electricity usage by 15 percent. This will create 50,000 jobs.
2. Creation of a clearinghouse to serve as a single point of access for information on all energy efficiency programs for schools, hospitals, and local governments.
3. Creation of an upstate research consortium on hybrid electric batteries and energy storage technologies.
4. Financing for retrofitting homes, including on-bill financing.
5. Pass the Ravitch Commission MTA recommendations
Creating a New York Energy Policy Institute to coordinate the expertise of
For details, please visit: http://www.state.ny.us/governor/press/factsheet_0107092.html