E-M:/ "Michigan's Pigeon River: History and Habitat of the Lower Peninsula's Largest Wild Place" on Tuesday, January 20 in Ann Arbor

Friends,

Please join us at a free public program on Tuesday, January 20 when we'll hear about "Michigan's Pigeon River:  History and Habitat of the Lower Peninsula's Largest Wild Place."

Named for the now-extinct passenger pigeons that once lived there, beloved by Hemingway, nearly destroyed by logging, the Pigeon River area remains a treasure worth protecting.
Dale Clarke Franz, author of Pigeon River Country, will talk about the history, management, and 21st century problems of the largest single block of wild  state land in the Lower Peninsula.

No membership is required to attend.  Newcomers are welcome to this family-friendly, public event, which begins at 7:30 pm at the lovely Matthaei Botanical Gardens in Ann Arbor (map here - directions below).

After the presentation, we invite you to stay for refreshments and to mingle with friendly people who share your interest in nature.  You can learn about local Sierra Club activities like hiking, skiing, and our conservation projects.

We'll be selling organic, fair-trade, shade-grown coffee and tea, and EarthCash shopping vouchers.   With EarthCash you can help stop sprawl when you shop at many of your favorite stores -- at no additional cost to you.  Both wall and desk size 2009 Sierra Club calendars will be available at a discount.  You can also purchase Sierra Club cards.  Everything is available for purchase by cash or check.

Please feel free to forward this message to others who might be interested.

Doug Cowherd
Chair, Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group
~~~
The Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group's public programs are normally held on the third Tuesday of each month at the Matthaei Botanical Gardens, located at 1800 N. Dixboro Road (between Geddes and Plymouth roads, just east of Ann Arbor and US-23), beginning at 7:30 pm.  Meetings are free and open to the public.  Next month's meeting:

February 17:  Where do the Children Play? Reclaiming the Creative Power of Outdoor Play
                               Elizabeth Goodenough, Ph.D. -- University of Michigan

March 17:      Local Treasures:
Special Plants, Animals, and Habitats in Washtenaw County Parks and Preserves*

Faye Stoner -- Parks Naturalist, Washtenaw County Parks

For more information about all local Sierra Club activities:   http://www.michigan.sierraclub.org/huron/