Re: E-M:/ Lansing area incinerator hearing Feb. 2

I think the larger issue that
needs to be confronted is whether
the Lansing airport be expanded..

Someone out there with power thinks
the Lansing airport should be expanded, or
should get turned into some kind of regional hub,
like Flint Bishop airport.   The airport authority
has been condemning and acquiring
property far north of the current runway.

The hole idea of spending public money and
investment in expanding the Lansing airport
seems ridiculous to me in a greenhouse gas
conscious world......

Also smart  consumers who know how to shop for the
least expensive air trips are an emerging factor.   Rarely is it the
least expensive flight to leave from Lansing
compared to other airports in the area.

Alex Sagady

At 12:12 PM 01/30/2009, Tracy Dobson wrote:

>>Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 11:52:12 -0500 (EST)
>>From: Jessica Yorko <jessicayorko@sustainablesolutions.biz>
>>
>>Having trouble viewing this email? <http://campaign.constantcontact.com/render?v=001vVcxzgcolKhNqaibhTt_XFGWbUkjrO2-jus8iJVnP6ilQH2dQrez8znU4ovm-WHJr3ljy0259KavcUD6_rLWGyBWYE0mXDZkWKJI83yqUdc%3D>Visit www.midmeac.org
>>Important Updates from the Mid-Michigan Environmental Action Council
>>Greetings!
>>This mini-newsletter contains info about pressing local issues and upcoming events. Look for our full Mid-MEAC E-newsletter next week!
>>
>>Jessica Yorko
>>Mid-Michigan Environmental Action Council
>><http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1102435109875&e=001ayd2zxGwjFwmsdwStdhZbFPd9Ix6GpTgHYFst2ENPi6Gvkk2915Fz6J7O2hoiNmg898o065pD4bowPzwkMxhADzxPa_J2uo8mPIPdCcLy-4=>www.midmeac.org
>>517-214-5684
>>
>>January 30, 2009
>>In This Issue
>>Capital City Airport Incinerator Meeting - February 2.
>>Transit Road Show - February 4
>>Mid-MEAC First Friday Land Use Lunches - February 6 and March 6
>>Design Lansing's Walking & Bicycling Network - March 3 - 7
>><http://visitor.constantcontact.com/email.jsp?m=1101330298841>
>>4c49e8.jpg
>>
>>Capital City Airport Incinerator Meeting - February 2
>>
>>The Airport Authority recently announced the purchase of a $46,000 gas-fired waste incinerator which will be used to burn all trash from international commercial and private flights. Permits to operate the incinerator are pending during a short period for public question and comment. The next hearing on the incinerator is scheduled for February 2, 2009 at 5:30 pm at the Mid-Michigan Health Department, 1307 E. Townsend Rd., St. Johns, MI 48879.
>>
>>The Clinton County Democratic Party is concerned that there has not been an adequate assessment of the impact of the incinerator on public health, the local environmental or businesses in southern Clinton County.  This <http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1102435109875&e=001ayd2zxGwjFytdBH71br6R4Dyq87god3naYA0JGpwjzUXxUPGOzeBxDA-1JxHGNSMMlIJeszHxccfaS1Zt7dmjs5TzsXSLxIWeEpu2AkkDUSPsw0jwQlu8TUXGWyJirHTergjt0AaD3AOWCrbZZ_oRahIPT4Rqd7Q473Ezwio8cF5e2DSN5UKZ8x97s1b-v5vgyvau_GUWNETkfVTxh6fJdMM5jUTD83v>Greenpeace article sites several dangers and toxins associated with incineration.
>>
>>Scott Nichols, Chair of the CCDP can be reached at 517-641-6299.
>>
>>Mid-Michigan Environmental Action Council | P.O. Box 17164 | Lansing | MI | 48901
>>

>Tracy Dobson, J.D.
>Professor, Fisheries & Wildlife
>Michigan State University
>13 Natural Resources Bldg.
>E. Lansing 48824-1222
>517/432-1711
>fax: 432-1699
>dobson@msu.edu
>http://www.fw.msu.edu/~dobson/

657 Spartan Avenue,  East Lansing, MI  48823
(517) 332-6971; ajs@sagady.com

JPEG image