E-M:/ Interfaith Youth Energy Squad (IYES)

FIRST TRAINING SESSION FOR THE INTERFAITH YOUTH ENERGY SQUAD IS FEBRUARY 21ST IN SOUTHFIELD.

WHY: Training high school students to perform basic energy-efficient retrofits like weatherstripping doors and windows, installing programmable thermostats, and changing light bulbs, we will save families thousands of dollars, reduce air pollution and global warming, and empower students to excel. For more information, and to apply to be a member of the squad, go to: www.youthenergysquad.org

WHERE: Muslim American Society’s (MAS) Detroit Center —  23725 Northwestern Highway, Southfield, 48075.  Located just off Evergreen and 9 Mile, it is convenient to the Lodge Freeway, Southfield Freeway, and I-696.  For a map and directions, go to www.youthenergysquad.org

IYES is grateful that MAS has offered to host this training, and we look forward to meeting at the facilities of other faith communities in the future.  While there will be no formal faith component to the trainings, meeting people from diverse backgrounds creates an opportunity to ask questions about other faiths and explore the many virtues we share in common — peace, justice, compassion, service, and environmental stewardship.

WHAT TO BRING:
Lunch and refreshments will be provided, but you should eat breakfast before you arrive.  Pens or pencils are the only supplies you will need.  We will not be doing any heavy physical work, but please wear clothing that you are comfortable moving around in.

Youth and their parents or guardians will need to fill out a few forms at the beginning of the day.  Please plan on spending the first 5-10 minutes for this.

Cell phones, i-pods, and other personal electronic devices will not be permitted during the training, so it may be easier to leave them at home.

Apprenticeship Days
From Monday, 2/23 to Friday 2/27 (Presidents’ Week vacation for Detroit Public Schools), crews are required to participate in an Apprenticeship Day with an energy educator from WARM Training Center.  Youth will attend two home energy visits, observing how the professional educators interact with families and what services they provide.  Apprenticeship days are also an opportunity to practice retrofits under the guidance of someone with experience.  Each crew will participate in two home visits, either during the morning (8:30 am to 1:00 pm) or the afternoon (12:30 pm to 5:00 pm).  Crews will meet their energy educator on-site; transportation can be arranged.

Scheduling for apprenticeship days will take place during the training.  If you know any days when you will not be available, please let us know ASAP.  If necessary, additional apprenticeship days can be arranged on Saturdays in early March.

Apply today at www.youthenergysquad.org  and we’ll see you on the 21st!

Interfaith Youth Energy Squad is a program of Voices for Earth Justice. For more information, please call 248-351-9001, or respond to this message.

Criminal Lawyers - Click here.