E-M:/ Board of Directors vs. Steering Committee

Perhaps someone out there can answer this.

I'm on the steering committee of a local environmental organization, FOLK (Friends of the Land of Keweenaw).  The organization started around 1990 as a response to a proposed paper mill on Keweenaw Bay.  We began by establishing a steering committee, but no board of directors.  In reviewing our bylaws recently, the question came up as to whether we would be better off with a board of directors instead.  Does anyone know the practical or legal differences between the two?

Thanks.

          -doug-

--
Doug Welker