E-M:/ RE: / An Interesting Essay

Enviro-Mich message from "Harris, Craig" <Craig.Harris@ssc.msu.edu>

alex,

i agree that it is interesting, but it is also true to form . . .

social scientists who study environmental discourse make a distinction
between a "politics of consumption" and a "politics of production" . . .

baum is absolutely true to his chemical society roots in concluding his
article with a plea for the politics of consumption . . . the problem is
you consumers out there who are consuming too much; you need to consume
less . . .

it would have been much more interesting if the editor of the chemical
and engineering news had concluded with a plea for the politics of
production . . . the problem is we engineers who have designed
production systems that have severe negative environmental impacts; we
need rapidly to develop new systems that have positive environmental
impacts . . .

cheers,

craig

craig k harris
department of sociology
michigan agricultural experiment station
national food safety and toxicology center
institute for food and agriculture standards
food safety policy center
michigan state university

429b berkey hall
east lansing  michigan  48824-1111