RE: E-M:/ RE: / An Interesting Essay

Both production and consumption need to be addressed - and, in the process, we need to take a hard look at our era's most sacred cow:  industrialism.

>From the very beginning, industrialization has had enormous negative social and environmental effects.  (Think of the Enclosure Acts that drove rural people into the smoke-filled industrial cities so landlords could profit from wool processing in factories, and of the soil acidification that resulted in the inability of large areas of England to continue to sustain forests.)  Yet the benefits to the more powerful members of society were all that counted politically - and, of course, those benefits were huge.  They reaped rewards without having to deal with the unhappy social effects, and were also able to locate where the more horrible environmental effects weren't felt.

Yes, many people have now benefitted from the mass production of "stuff."  Some are enjoying an unbelievable (and grossly wasteful) material standard of living.  One of the great costs (that never makes the charts) has been that most relatively self-sufficient, sustainable societies have been destroyed, whether we're talking rural Americana or indigenous peoples.  Another cost has been the degradation of our biosphere big-time.

Today, with the entire world caught up in globalization (industrialization/urbanization), even the powerful are experiencing the environmental impacts.  So, at long last, the demand to do something is being heard.  Only . . . are we willing to look at the deeper roots of the problem?

Linda Cree
Michigan's Upper Peninsula

> Subject: E-M:/ RE: / An Interesting Essay
> Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 22:54:37 -0500
> From: Craig.Harris@ssc.msu.edu
> To: ajs@sagady.com; enviro-mich@great-lakes.net

> Enviro-Mich message from "Harris, Craig" <Craig.Harris@ssc.msu.edu>
>
> alex,
>
> i agree that it is interesting, but it is also true to form . . .
>
> social scientists who study environmental discourse make a distinction
> between a "politics of consumption" and a "politics of production" . . .
>
> baum is absolutely true to his chemical society roots in concluding his
> article with a plea for the politics of consumption . . . the problem is
> you consumers out there who are consuming too much; you need to consume
> less . . .
>
> it would have been much more interesting if the editor of the chemical
> and engineering news had concluded with a plea for the politics of
> production . . . the problem is we engineers who have designed
> production systems that have severe negative environmental impacts; we
> need rapidly to develop new systems that have positive environmental
> impacts . . .
>
> cheers,
>
> craig
>
> craig k harris
> department of sociology
> michigan agricultural experiment station
> national food safety and toxicology center
> institute for food and agriculture standards
> food safety policy center
> michigan state university
>
> 429b berkey hall
> east lansing michigan 48824-1111
> usa
> tel: 517-355-5048
> fax: 517-432-2856

Windows Live™ Hotmail®…more than just e-mail. See how it works.