E-M:/ Granholm and other Govs meet w Obama Cabinet Members on Climate Change

Enviro-Mich message from "Anne Woiwode" <Anne.Woiwode@sierraclub.org>

Good to see Governor Granholm in the room with the President's top energy
and environment folks and other Governors, including Schwarzenegger --
getting serious about our future energy needs and climate change means
changing the way politicians work together.

Anne Woiwode, State Director
Sierra Club Michigan Chapter
(517) 484-2372

Gov. Schwarzenegger Issues Statement Following Climate Change Meeting with
                      Obama Administration Officials

Today Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger co-chaired a meeting with 11 other
governors and President Barack Obama's top energy and environment cabinet
officials to discuss a state-federal partnership on clean energy and
climate change issues. Following the meeting, he issued the statement
below:

"States have been leading the way on clean energy and climate change, and
we are thrilled to now have a willing partner in the White House to promote
these policies on a national stage," Governor Schwarzenegger said.
"California has been focusing on green jobs, alternative fuels, renewable
energy, and reducing the urgent threat of global warming while at the same
time benefiting our economy, and we hope that our efforts will now act as a
model for change at the federal level.

"Today's meeting was the first step in creating a close and lasting
partnership with President Obama and his administration on climate change.
I look forward to working hand-in-hand with our federal partners to realize
the ambitious clean energy and climate change goals I know we share, and
that I know will provide a boost to our nation's economy."

During the meeting, governors discussed a variety of ambitious initiatives
their states are undertaking to accelerate renewable energy and reduce
greenhouse gas emissions. They stressed the importance of coordinating
their actions with the Obama administration to leverage each others'
efforts. Several governors noted the unique complexity of clean energy and
climate challenge issues will require action at the local, state and
federal level.

Today's meeting was follow up to a letter Gov. Schwarzenegger and 11 other
governors sent to President Obama on January 29, 2009. In the letter, the
governors asked for a meeting with President Obama's energy and climate
team to discuss creating a state-federal partnership on climate change
issues.

Governors in attendance were:

.        Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger (CA) (Co-Chair)

.        Gov. David Paterson (NY) (Co-Chair)

.        Gov. Charlie Crist (FL)

.        Gov. Jon Corzine (NJ)

.        Gov. Jim Douglas (VT)

.        Gov. Jennifer Granholm (MI)

.        Gov. Chris Gregoire (WA)

.        Gov. Ted Kulongoski (OR)

.        Gov. Martin O'Malley (MD)

.        Gov. Deval Patrick (MA)

.        Gov. Bill Ritter (CO)

.        Gov. Kathleen Sebelius (KS)

Administration officials in attendance were:

.        Carol Browner, Assistant to the President for Energy and Climate
Change

.        Ken Salazar, Secretary of Interior

.        Dr. Steven Chu, Secretary of Energy

.        Lisa Jackson, Administrator United States Environmental Protection
Agency

                                    ###