E-M:/ Power Shift '09 -- We Need Your Help

Dear Friends,

During President Obama's victory speech last November he said, "This victory alone is not the change we seek.  It's only the chance to make that change."  As the battle to pass this Economic Recovery Bill demonstrates, real change will not come easily, and it's more important than ever that we build a popular movement to press our government to do the right thing.

In less than 7 days, we have an enormous opportunity.  Power Shift '09 will bring over 10,000 youth leaders to Washington DC to get inspired, trained, networked and to lobby their members of Congress.  This includes 400 + students registered from Michigan.  This truly is one of our big chances this year to make an impact, and we need your help in the following three ways:

1. Recruit: Power Shift '09 will be a life-changing moment for many of the young people that are able to come.  A national conference I went to in 2005 was part of what cemented my commitment to do this work, and I've heard similar stories from dozens of other young people who came to Power Shift '07.  Are there young people in your life (or part of your organization) that could be inspired by this event?  I've attached two sample recruitment emails below, and until February 22nd (tonight) the registration is $45 if you identify as a member of a group on the registration page: www.powershift09.org

2. Leverage: On March 2nd, 6-7,000 youth leaders will go up to Capitol Hill to lobby their members of Congress, by far the largest lobby day on climate/energy issues in our country's history.  Is there anything you or your organization can do to back them up throughout that week?  Can you generate calls or letters to Congress?  Write a letter to the editor or a blog post?

3. Sponsor: We are working to raise $10,000 in funding to make sure Power Shift is as diverse as possible and that talented young people from Michigan can attend regardless of financial constraints.  Every dollar counts - please pitch in if you can: https://salsa.democracyinaction.org/o/703/t/8795/shop/custom.jsp?donate_page_KEY=4541

Thanks so much for whatever you're able to do to help make the most of this historic opportunity.  If you have 90 seconds to watch a great video our team just put together, click here: http://www.youtube.com/energyaction

All my best,

Brandon Knight

please contact me with further questions:

brandon@globalexchange.org

248.521.4219

POWERSHIFT RECRUITMENT TEXT #1

Join 10,000 leaders in Washington, DC on Friday, February 27 as urban dance sensation Santigold kicks off Power Shift '09 along with keynote speakers Van Jones and Majora Carter.

From mayors and governors to members of congress and nationally acclaimed organizers and speakers, spend Saturday Feb, 28 and Sunday, Mar 1 networking and learning how to pass bold climate and energy legislation from our nation's best campaign leaders.  World-renowned hip hop artists The Roots will bring things home Saturday night following Power Shift's second high profile keynote address.

On Monday, March 2nd be part of history as Power Shift convenes the largest lobby day on climate in US history in every hall of the House and Senate, and in a Congressional Hearing hosted by Congressman Ed Markey.

We WILL pass bold, comprehensive federal climate and energy legislation in 2009, and we need your voice to make it happen.

POWERSHIFT RECRUITMENT TEXT #2

In the middle of our new administration's first 100 days, Power Shift 09 will bring 10,000 young people to Washington to hold our elected officials accountable for rebuilding our economy and reclaiming our future through bold climate and clean energy policy.

From February 27th to March 2nd, 2009 young people from across the country will converge on Washington D.C. to take a message of bold, comprehensive and immediate federal climate action to Capitol Hill.

We will leverage the momentum we built locally through the Campus Climate Challenge, at our first national mobilization Power Shift 07, and our electoral engagement campaign Power Vote to pressure our political leaders to take the action our generation and our future demands.

Our window of opportunity is short; the first months of the new administration are critical in achieving significant, lasting changes. We must use the time we have to redefine what is politically or financially feasible and achieve what is scientifically and economically necessary to safeguard our future.  Our political moment is now and we must not let it pass us by.

Brandon Knight
Midwest Power Shift 2009 Organizer
Global Exchange

(248)521-4219