Re: E-M:/ New property rights group-Midland

This is part of an emerging and concerted push from special interests to use the economic crisis (that they and their political ilk have created) as an excuse to by bypass/overrule environmental protections.

I think it is important for conservationists and environmentalists to understand economics in general and especially the etiology of the current crisis starting with the fact that overall all of the nation's gains during the past 8 years were skimmed off by a very small number of people with great monetary/political/positional power (see e.g., Summers LH [2008, September-October] The economic agenda: Challenges facing the next president, in Harvard Magazine. pp 29-31 and elsewhere), and that still was not enough for them. I might add that the local and regional news media have been pretty weak on these topics, or we probably would not have gotten to this point in the first place.

Tourism is a major industry in Michigan, and that depends on a high-quality, scenic environment. Tourism is hurt by ramshackle development. Over a 43-year period, I have certainly witnessed great losses in our natural scenery and degradations of other facets of our environment. This is our infrastructure perhaps as much as roads, etc., and the MDEQ and MDNR play important roles in maintaining this infrastructure. I have to add that a little-known agency within MDNR, Michigan Natural Features Inventory, is very important in maintaining or even enhancing our natural features. I think we are also talking about the quality of life that may be worth even more than the tourism industry.

I see an even greater need for the League of Conservation Voters as news media decline and television shifts more to entertainment (think the message in the recent film Wall-E).