E-M:/ Clean Energy Advocates Urge DEQ to Implement Gov’s Clean Energy Vision

CLEAN ENERGY NOW

For Immediate Release:
Thursday, February 26, 2009

Contact: Leigh Fifelski
(517) 999.3646
Cell: 248.321.4579

Clean Energy Advocates Urge DEQ to Implement Gov’s Clean Energy Vision
Consumers Energy proposed permit would undermine jobs, health and climate

BAY CITY – Clean energy supporters are calling on the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality to implement Governor Granholm’s vision of a strong, clean energy economy for Michigan by denying the proposed Consumers Energy Karn Weadock plant. This is the first public comment period issued by the DEQ since the governor’s directive, at the State of the State, that no permits shall be delivered without full consideration of feasible and prudent alternatives.

 After her State of the State address, Governor Granholm gained nationwide praise for her announcement of an aggressive plan to reduce fossil fuels in electric generation by 45% and promote renewable energy and efficiency to bring more jobs to Michigan while meeting our state’s energy needs and reducing our greenhouse gas emissions.

 “We are looking forward to the DEQ doing its job and the right thing for Michigan citizens and our future by supporting Governor Granholm’s recent decision to require all electric providers to first invest in clean renewable energy and efficiency,” said Yelisa Pfeiffer, member of Bay County group Citizens Exploring Clean Energy (CECE), a local group formed to bring people together to explore and promote clean renewable energy in Mid-Michigan.

Michigan currently has 19 existing coal plants around the state.  Since 2005, there have been 150 new coal plants proposed in the U.S.  The Bay County power plant is one of the eight being proposed in Michigan, more than any other state.

“The DEQ can move Michigan toward a clean energy future by following Governor Granholm’s lead.  Across the nation over 90 proposed out-dated coal plants similar Consumers Energy Karn Weadock plant have been cancelled because of costs and environmental concerns,” said Tiffany Hartung, Associate Regional Representative with the Sierra Club. “It’s time Michigan chose a future that does not employ dirty old technology as a primary source of energy.”

 “We urge the DEQ to listen to Governor Granholm and protect Michigan citizens against the threats of another coal plant and first invest in clean, renewable energy and efficiency,” said Terry Miller of The Lone Tree Council. “We cannot re-open the door to more lung disease, more mercury poisoning of infants, more dangerous pollution and more greenhouse gas emissions that threaten the economy and the public health.”

Locally, CECE encourages members of the public to attend the MDEQ hearing to voice their concerns about the proposed Consumers plant expansion and to contact CECE to find out more at (989) 894-0275 or at ceceinfo@gmail.com.  “Citizens should absolutely weigh in on such an important decision.  Cleaner energy is a very viable option,” said Pfeiffer.

###

--
Leigh Fifelski, Campaign Coordinator

Progress Michigan