E-M:/ "Inching Toward a Unified Regional Transit System" Sierra Club Meeting 3/5/09

--- On Thu, 2/26/09, Sierra Club - Southeast Michigan Group <gscicli@comcast.net> wrote:
From: Sierra Club - Southeast Michigan Group <gscicli@comcast.net>
Subject: Sierra Club - Southeast Michigan Group, General Meeting March 5, 2009
To: "Sierra Club - Southeast Michigan Group" <alert@sierraclub.org>
Date: Thursday, February 26, 2009, 3:36 PM

Inching Toward a Unified Regional Transit System:
Progress on the Homefront for Greater Detroit

by Megan Owens, Transportation Riders United (TRU)

In early December 2008, the leaders of Wayne, Oakland, and Macomb Counties plus
the City of Detroit unanimously approved an official regional transit plan. It
provides a good balance of immediate improvements in bus service and
coordination. As well, it has established a long term effort to develop rapid
transit throughout Metro Detroit. Within the next 3 years, it calls for the
region's first light rail line on Woodward Avenue, the first regional
commuter train between Detroit, Metro Airport and Ann Arbor, and "Arterial
Rapid-Transit" along most major corridors. A strong regional plan is one of
the four critical steps that have to occur in order to develop a quality
regional transit system. The unanimous regional support bodes well for the
creation of an official regional authority (AKA a new and improved DARTA). Step
by step, inch by inch.. I think we can, I think we can! Let's get on board
and ensure that this broad new support translates into a new direction in
transportation priorities for greater Detroit. Please join us!.

The Southeast MI Group (SEMG) meets on the first Thursday of each month at the
Northwest Unitarian-Universalist Church, 23925 Northwestern Hwy, Southfield, MI.
The church is located along the southbound US10 service drive between 9 & 10
Mile. Our meetings begin with a potluck dinner from 6-7pm followed by a brief
local club update from7-730pm. The featured programs listed below begin at
730pm. ***Plz note the time changes***All are welcome, members and non-members
alike, so please consider bringing a friend! For more info, contact Carol Izant
at (248)352-6137 or cogknot@yahoo.com. For complete coverage of SEMG activities,
check out our website@www.michigan.sierraclub.org/semg

To adjust your Sierra Club email preferences, please reply to this email with a
description of your wishes. Thank you.

Sierra Club 85 Second St., 2nd Floor, San Francisco, CA  94105