E-M:/ Saginaw reacts to stalled EPA/Dow talks

http://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw/index.ssf/2009/03/epa_halts_dioxin_talks_with_do.html

-The environmentalists have "very significant concerns" about switching the clean-up process from the Resource Conservation Recovery Act to less stringent rules under the Superfund Alternative Site process, Hurd Riddick said. The move put negotiations "behind closed doors," she said."Our primary concern is we are going from a regulatory process to a guidance, and we're also going to a process that is not transparent," Hurd Riddick said.

-State Rep. Kenneth B. Horn, a Frankenmuth Republican whose district includes much of the contaminated area, said EPA had already planned to send a team to the Great Lakes Bay
Region and expressed frustration with the latest delay.

"I'm disappointed that EPA walked away from Dow a second time," he said. "It's not what our taxpayers expect from their government agencies.