E-M:/ "When Making Fuel From Wood, Be Sure You Have Wood"

Enviro-Mich message from Rane L Curl <ranecurl@umich.edu>

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009, Cynthia Price wrote:

Someone who used to be on this list sent me this link, and I found it very
interesting, though I can't vouch for its accuracy. It concerns the
probability that there will not be enough wood to make much difference with
cellulosic ethanol, and focuses on the Michigan plant.

The Subject is a good mantra for ALL alternative fuel proposals. If you compute the current consumption of fuels or electricity to be replaced by alternatives, and then estimate the biomass or windmills or area (for solar) required, you are faced with daunting tasks. All proposals for alternative energy should be accompanied by estimates of the resources required and how they will be provided at the necessary scale.

--Rane L Curl