Re: E-M:/ Wolves at risk

I was a member of the DNR Wolf Management Roundtable, which crafted the core of the current DNR Wolf Management Pan. These questions were at the heart of most of our recommendations. Since you asked for information, I will not post my opinions regarding de-listing in the Great Lakes (and I am in the following talking only about Michigan).

The removal will have very little impact on wolf populations. It may have significant effects on wolf individuals. Wolves will still be protected, non-game species. What de-listing will allow is lethal take by the DNR of "problem" wolves (those who are killing livestock, etc). It will also allow individuals to kill wolves when they are in teh act of taking livestock. While the DNR may perhaps use trapping to take the problem individual wolves, citizens may not.

Wolf numbers are expected to continue to climb until full habitat density is reached. While there will be no active intent to attract wolves to the lower peninsula, if they disperse there they will be protected as well.

DNR personnel have been very serious about protection and restoration of wolves, and I would expect no change in that, nor any change in their diligence in prosecuting poachers.

Marvin