E-M:/ TAKE ACTION: Toxic Levels are Rising

Title: Take Action to Protect Children's Health and the Great Lakes

View this event on the Ecology Center website.

TAKE

MICHIGAN LEGISLATORS CAN PROTECT CHILDREN,
FIREFIGHTERS AND OUR GREAT LAKES FROM DECA-BDE!

MNCEH

Click Here to Urge Your Legislator to Sign on as a Co-Sponsor

Join us in Lansing for a Children's Environmental Health Policy Day, Wed, April 22.

Please urge your state legislator to co-sponsor legislation introduced by Representative Deb Kennedy to phase out deca-BDE in mattresses, residential furniture, televisions, and computers.

Why Phase Out deca-BDE? (download factsheet)

ARE TOXIC FLAME-RETARDANTS THE NEXT PCBs? Polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PDBDEs), the class of chemicals to which deca-BDE belongs, are extremely persistent in the environment and accumulate in fatty tissues just like PCBs.

TOXIC LEVELS ARE RISING: PBDE levels in Great Lakes walleye and lake trout rose exponentially from 1980 to 2000, doubling every 3-4 years.

HEALTH IMPACTS:
Exposure to these chemicals has been linked to changes in brain function and reproductive development, cancer in lab rodents and the disruption of thyroid function.

FIRE OFFICIALS SUPPORT THE RESTRICTIONS:
The Michigan Association of Fire Chiefs supports a ban because "when PBDE compounds are exposed to fire they burn and release dense fumes and a highly corrosive gas known as hydrogen bromide which expose firefighters to additional chemical hazards."

SAFER ALTERNATIVES ARE WIDELY USED:
Many companies already or will soon meet fire safety standards without using deca-BDE (click for more information)

TAKE ACTION

1) Visit our action alert page to send an email to your state representative urging them to co-sponso
r and support this important bill. Banning deca-BDE would protect our Greak Lakes, our children, and offer protections for the heroes that protect our families and property from fires everyday.

2) Please join us in Lansing for a Children's Environmental Health Policy Day, Wednesday, April 22. You will team up with children's environmental health advocates for individual meetings with lawmakers from across the state to encourage them to protect children from toxics. We will provide you with all the information you need ahead of time to make these meetings simple, effective, and interesting.  You will also have the opportunity to participate in an a fun and powerful event aimed at building support for statewide efforts. We'll tell you more about that as the event approaches.

Thanks for taking action

Sincerely,

Robert Fish
Environmental Health Organizer
Ecology Center

Ecology CenterThe Ecology Center, works for a safe and healthy environment
where people live, work and play.

Make a donation to support the Ecology Center.

Subscribe to this list
Unsubscribe from this list