Here is what the White House is saying about the impact of
the Economic Recovery package for
THE IMPACT FOR
The American Recovery and
Reinvestment Act is a nationwide effort to create jobs, jumpstart growth and transform
our economy for the 21st century. Across the country, this package
will help businesses create jobs and families afford their bills while laying a
foundation for future economic growth in key areas like health care, clean
energy, education and a 21st century infrastructure. In
· Creating or saving 109,000 jobs over the next two years. Jobs created will be in a range of industries from clean energy to health care, with over 90% in the private sector. [Source: White House Estimate based on Romer and Bernstein, “The Job Impact of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Plan.” January 9, 2009.]
· Providing a making work pay tax cut of up to $800 for 3,910,000 workers and their families. The plan will make a down payment on the President’s Making Work Pay tax cut for 95% of workers and their families, designed to pay out immediately into workers’ paychecks. [Source: White House Estimate based on IRS Statistics of Income]
121,000 families eligible for a new American
an additional $100 per month in unemployment insurance benefits to 1,040,000
funding sufficient to modernize at least 383 schools in
addition to this immediate assistance for
· Doubling renewable energy generating capacity over three years, creating enough renewable energy to power 6 million American homes.
· Computerizing every American’s health record in five years, reducing medical errors and saving billions of dollars in health care costs.
the most significant expansion in tax cuts for low- and moderate-income
· Enacting the largest investment increase in our nation’s roads, bridges and mass transit systems since the creation of the national highway system in the 1950s.
Anne M. Woiwode, State Director
Support the Sierra Club Michigan Chapter - contact
The bold steps that are needed to solve the climate crisis are exactly the same steps that ought to be taken in order to solve the economic crisis and the energy security crisis - Al Gore