Re: E-M:/ RE: / Free Press: keep wetlands protection in Michigan hands

Keeping state control of wetlands is critical. Not only does the state offer more staff and clearer regulations than the federal government, they also allow better citizen participation into the decision making progress. Also, Michigan is not one of two states with a wetland programs - the majority of states have wetlands programs. Michigan and New Jersey are the only two with federal authority, but most states have wetlands program and provide water quality certification before a federal wetland permit can be issued (state approval/certification is required by the federal government prior to them issuing their permit). In every other state, permit applicants must get state permits/certifications and federal permits – Michigan and New Jersey are significantly streamlined over any other state.  Michigan is the envy of a lot of other states who want federal authority.

Federal authority allows Michigan to offer more public participation opportunity for citizens and less red tape for permit applicants (along with the many other benefits of having state input on development in their state). The state wetlands program may be currently underfunded, but I assure you, it is way better then anything at the federal level. Also, people should look into the many regulatory problems that the federal program is having. Not only can they not tell you what wetlands they regulate, but they also don’t normally regulate dredging or draining of wetlands. That doesn’t sound like wetland protection to me. Those who question the state program should take a closer look at the alternative.

Check out http://groups.google.com/group/michigan-wetlands