E-M:/ Say "Wheeze!" - Help Children Breathe Easier

View this action alert on theEcology Center Website.

Say "Wheeze!" -
Help Michigan's Kids Breathe Easier

breatheeasy

On April 14-15, 2009, Michigan's Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ) will hold public hearings for a 930 MW coal-fired power plant proposed by Consumers Energy in Essexville, Michigan (near Bay City). This is the fourth permit for additional coal-fired power that MDEQ has considered in the last 6 months.

Coal plants release at least 70 different pollutants including nitrogen oxides, sulfur oxides, particulate matter, and mercury. These pollutants are known carcinogens, teratogens, neurotoxins, and/or cardiopulmonary irritants. Our children are at special risk with respect to these pollutants because they breathe 50 percent more air per pound of body weight than adults and because their respiratory systems are not fully developed. In fact, if exposed over time to high degrees of air pollution, some of our children may never reach their potential lung development.

YOU Can Help Michigan's Children Breathe Easier.Click here to take action.

Ecology Center will present a photo petition to Michigan's Department of Environmental Quality during the public hearing for the proposed Consumers Energy plant in Bay City. We encourage everyone everyone who's concerned about this coal rush's effect on our health and our environment to join us!

inhaler

Here's how:

1. Send an email to:NoCoalMichigan@gmail.com

2. Take a moment to customize the subject line and body of the message:

Subject Line: Help Michigan's Children Breathe Easier

Message: First name, last name, and zip code. Also, please add a personalized comment about the effects of coal-fired power on you and your family.

3. Attach the image of your children, yourself, your family, or your friends with inhalers, "Say NO to coal" signs, etc. -- and send!Clickhereto see examples on Flickr.

4. Take a moment togive us your contact information.

Michigan sits at the heart of a nationwide "coal rush", with eight new coal plants proposed for construction. The construction of these plants will gravely impair Michigan's air quality and expose our communities to severe, even lethal health impacts. Especially at a time when our nation is considering how to develop alternative forms of energy and fund "green" jobs, MDEQ should say "no" to new coal-fired power plants.

At the hearing, we will present the photos you submit along with this message: Help Children Breathe Easier by Saying NO to Coal-fired Power Plants!

Sincerely,
Monica Patel
Clean Energy Advocate

TheEcology Centerworks for a safe and healthy environment where people live, work, and play.

Make a donationto support projects of the Ecology Center.

The Ecology Center sends out action alerts, event updates, and newsletters through DemocracyinAction.org. Subscribeto Ecology Center Action Alerts.

Ecology Center 117 N. Division St. Ann Arbor, MI 48104 734-761-3186 734-663-2414