E-M:/ Michigan endangered species under US-FWS review

Today's federal register.  US Fish and Wildlife Service
announces five year review on endangered species in Michigan and other
states.   Michigan species listed  are

Michigan Monkeyflower
Karner blue butterfly
Mitchell's satyr butterfly

[Federal Register: March 18, 2009 (Volume 74, Number 51)]
[Notices]
[Page 11600-11602]
 From the Federal Register Online via GPO Access [wais.access.gpo.gov]
[DOCID:fr18mr09-76]

DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR
Fish and Wildlife Service
[FWS-R3-ES-2009-N0013]; [30120-1113-0000-C4]

Endangered and Threatened Wildlife and Plants; 5-Year Reviews

AGENCY: Fish and Wildlife Service, Interior.
ACTION: Notice of initiation of review; request for information on nine
listed Midwestern species.

SUMMARY: We, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (Service), initiate 5-
year reviews of two threatened species (prairie bush-clover and Mead's
milkweed) and seven endangered species [Scioto madtom, purple cat's paw
pearlymussel, winged mapleleaf (mussel), Tumbling Creek cavesnail,
Karner blue butterfly, Mitchell's satyr butterfly, and Michigan monkey-
flower] under the Endangered Species Act of 1973, as amended (Act). We
request any new information on each species that may have a bearing on
its classification as endangered or threatened. Based on the results of
these 5-year reviews, we will make a finding on whether these species
are properly classified under the Act.

DATES: To allow us adequate time to conduct these reviews, we must
receive your information no later than May 18, 2009. However, we will
continue to accept new information about any listed species at any time.

ADDRESSES: For instructions on how to submit information and review the
information that we receive on these species, see ``Public Solicitation
of New Information.''

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: Please contact the appropriate person
under ``Public Solicitation of New Information.'' Individuals who are
hearing impaired or speech impaired may call the Federal Relay Service
at 800-877-8337 for TTY (telephone typewriter or teletypewriter) assistance.

SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION: We initiate 5-year reviews of the threatened
prairie bush-clover (Lespedeza leptostachya) and threatened Mead's
milkweed (Asclepias meadii), as well as the endangered Scioto madtom
(Noturus trautmani), purple cat's paw pearlymussel (Epioblasma
obliquata obliquata), winged mapleleaf (mussel) (Quadrula fragosa),
Tumbling Creek cavesnail (Antrobia culveri), Karner blue butterfly
(Lycaeides melissa samuelis), Mitchell's satyr butterfly (Neonympha
mitchellii mitchellii), and Michigan monkey-flower (Mimulus glabratus
var. michiganensis), under the Act.
    We request any new information on each species that may have a
bearing on its classification as endangered or threatened. Based on the
results of these 5-year reviews, we will make a finding on whether
these species are properly classified under the Act.

Why Do We Conduct a 5-Year Review?

    Under the Act, we maintain the List of Endangered and Threatened
Wildlife and Plant Species (List) at 50 CFR 17.11 and 17.12. We amend
the List by publishing final rules in the Federal Register. Section
4(c)(2)(A) of the Act requires that we conduct a review of listed
species at least once every 5 years. Section 4(c)(2)(B) requires that
we determine (1) Whether a species no longer meets the definition of
threatened or endangered and should be removed from the List
(delisted); (2) whether a species more properly meets the definition of
threatened and should be reclassified from endangered to threatened; or
(3) whether a species more properly meets the definition of endangered
and should be reclassified from threatened to endangered. Using the
best scientific and commercial data available, a species will be
considered for delisting if the data substantiate that the species is
neither endangered nor threatened for one or more of the following
reasons: (1) The species is considered extinct; (2) the species is
considered to be recovered; and/or (3) the original data available when
the species was listed, or the interpretation

[[Page 11601]]

of such data, were in error. Any change in Federal classification
requires a separate rulemaking process. Therefore, we are requesting
submission of any such information that has become available since the
last formal status review on November 6, 1991 (56 FR 56882), for Scioto
madtom, purple cat's paw pearlymussel, prairie bush-clover, Mead's
milkweed and Michigan monkey-flower, and since the final rule listing
(see Table 1) of winged mapleleaf mussel, Tumbling Creek cavesnail,
Karner blue butterfly, and Mitchell's satyr butterfly. Based on the
results of these 5-year reviews, we will make the requisite findings
under section 4(c)(2)(B) of the Act.
    Our regulations at 50 CFR 424.21 require that we publish a notice
in the Federal Register announcing those species currently under
review. This notice announces initiation of our active review of the
species in Table 1.

                              Table 1--Summary of Listing Information, 6 Wildlife and 3 Plant Species in the Midwest Region
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
             Common name                  Scientific name               Status               Where listed                  Final listing rule
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scioto madtom.......................  Noturus trautmani......  Endangered.............  U.S.A. (OH)...........  40 FR 544149; 10/28/1975
Purple cat's paw pearlymussel.......  Epioblasma obliquata     Endangered.............  U.S.A. (AL, IL, IN,     55 FR 28209; 07/10/1990
                                       obliquata.                                        KY, OH, TN).
Winged mapleleaf (mussel)...........  Quadrula fragosa.......  Endangered.............  U.S.A. (IA, IL, IN,     56 FR 28345; 06/20/1991
                                                                                         KY, MN, MO, NE, OH,
                                                                                         OK, TN, WI).
Tumbling Creek cavesnail............  Antrobia culveri.......  Endangered.............  U.S.A. (MO)...........  67 FR 52879; 08/14/2002
Karner blue butterfly...............  Lycaeides melissa        Endangered.............  U.S.A. (IL, IN, MA,     57 FR 59236; 12/14/1992
                                       samuelis.                                         MI, MN, NH, NY, OH,
                                                                                         PA, WI), Canada
                                                                                         (Ont.).
Mitchell's satyr butterfly..........  Neonympha mitchellii     Endangered.............  U.S.A. (IN, MI, NJ,     57 FR 21564; 05/20/1992
                                       mitchellii.                                       OH).
Michigan monkey-flower..............  Mimulus glabratus var.   Endangered.............  U.S.A. (MI)...........  55 FR 25596; 06/21/1990
                                       michiganensis.
Prairie bush-clover.................  Lespedeza leptostachya.  Threatened.............  U.S.A. (IA, IL, MN,     52 FR 781; 01/09/1987
                                                                                         WI).
Mead's milkweed.....................  Asclepias meadii.......  Threatened.............  U.S.A. (IA, IL, IN,     53 FR 33992; 09/01/1988
                                                                                         KS, MO, WI).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What Information Do We Consider in Our Review?

    In our 5-year review, we consider all new information available at
the time of the review. These reviews will consider the best scientific
and commercial data that have become available since the original
listing determination or most recent status review of each species,
such as--(A) Species biology, including but not limited to population
trends, distribution, abundance, demographics, and genetics; (B)
Habitat conditions, including but not limited to amount, distribution,
and suitability; (C) Conservation measures that have been implemented
to benefit the species; (D) Threat status and trends (see five factors
under heading ``How do we determine whether a species is endangered or
threatened?''); and (E) Other new information, data, or corrections,
including but not limited to taxonomic or nomenclatural changes,
identification of erroneous information contained in the List of Endangered
and Threatened Wildlife and Plants, and improved analytical methods.

Public Solicitation of New Information

    We request any new information concerning the status of the
wildlife species Scioto madtom, purple cat's paw pearlymussel, winged
mapleleaf (mussel), Tumbling Creek cavesnail, Karner blue butterfly,
and Mitchell's satyr butterfly, and of the plant species prairie bush-
clover, Mead's milkweed, and Michigan monkey-flower. See ``What
Information Do We Consider in Our Review?'' for specific criteria. If
you submit information, support it with documentation such as maps,
bibliographic references, methods used to gather and analyze the data,
and/or copies of any pertinent publications, reports, or letters by
knowledgeable sources. We specifically request information regarding
data from any systematic surveys, as well as any studies or analysis of
data that may show population size or trends; information pertaining to
the biology or ecology of the species; information regarding the
effects of current land management on population distribution and
abundance; information on the current condition of habitat; and recent
information regarding conservation measures that have been implemented
to benefit the species. Additionally, we specifically request
information regarding the current distribution of populations and
evaluation of threats faced by the species in relation to the five
listing factors (as defined in section 4(a)(1) of the Act) and the
species' listed status as judged against the definition of threatened
or endangered. Finally, we solicit recommendations pertaining to the
development of, or potential updates to recovery plans and additional
actions or studies that would benefit these species in the future.
    Our practice is to make information, including names and home
addresses of respondents, available for public review. Before including
your address, telephone number, e-mail address, or other personal
identifying information in your response, you should be aware that your
entire submission--including your personal identifying information--may
be made publicly available at any time. While you can ask us in your
response to withhold your personal identifying information from public
review, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to do so.
    Submit all electronic information in Text or Rich Text format to
<A HREF="mailto:FW3MidwestRegion_5YearReview@fws.gov";>FW3MidwestRegion_5YearReview@fws.gov</A>. Please send information for each
separate species in a separate e-mail. Provide your name and return
address in the body of your message, and include the following
identifier in your e-mail subject line: Information on 5-year review
for [NAME OF SPECIES]. You may also view information we receive in
response to this notice, as well as other documentation in our files,
at the locations below by appointment, during normal business hours.
Mail or hand-deliver information on the following species to the
appropriate address(es) below:
    Scioto madtom and Purple cat's paw pearlymussel: U.S. Fish and
Wildlife Service, Ecological Services Field Office, 4625 Morse Road,
Suite 104, Columbus, OH 43230; Attention: Ms. Angela Boyer. Direct
inquiries to Ms.

[[Page 11602]]

Boyer at 614-416-8993 (phone) or <A HREF="mailto:angela_boyer@fws.gov";>angela_boyer@fws.gov</A> (e-mail).
    Winged mapleleaf (mussel) and Prairie bush-clover: U.S. Fish and
Wildlife Service, Ecological Services Field Office, 4101 E. 80th
Street, Bloomington, MN 55425-1665, Attention: Mr. Phil Delphey. Direct
inquiries to Mr. Delphey at 612-725-3548 (phone) or <A HREF="mailto:phil_delphey@fws.gov";>
phil_delphey@fws.gov</A> (e-mail).
    Tumbling Creek cavesnail: U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service,
Ecological Services Field Office, 101 Park DeVille Drive, Suite A,
Columbia, MO 65203-0057; Attention: Dr. Paul McKenzie. Direct inquiries
to Dr. McKenzie at 573-234-2132, extension 107 (phone) or <A HREF="mailto:paul_mckenzie@fws.gov";>
paul_mckenzie@fws.gov</A> (e-mail).
    Karner blue butterfly: U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Ecological
Services Field Office, 2661 Scott Tower Drive, New Franken, WI 54229-
9565; Attention: Ms. Cathy Carnes. Direct inquiries to Ms. Carnes at
920-866-1732 (phone) or <A HREF="mailto:cathy_carnes@fws.gov";>cathy_carnes@fws.gov</A> (e-mail).
    Mitchell's satyr butterfly: U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service,
Ecological Services Field Office, 2651 Coolidge Road, Suite 101, East
Lansing, MI 48823-5902; Attention: Ms. Carrie Tansy. Direct inquiries
to Ms. Tansy at 517-351-6289 (phone) or <A HREF="mailto:carrie_tansy@fws.gov";>carrie_tansy@fws.gov</A> (e-mail).
    Mead's milkweed: U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Ecological
Services Field Office, 1250 S. Grove Avenue, Suite 103, Barrington, IL
60010-5010; Attention: Mr. Kristopher Lah. Direct inquiries to Mr. Lah at
847-381-2253, extension 15 (phone) or <A HREF="mailto:kristopher_lah@fws.gov";>kristopher_lah@fws.gov</A> (e-mail).
    Michigan monkey-flower: U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Ecological
Services Field Office, 2651 Coolidge Road, Suite 101, East Lansing, MI
48823-5902; Attention: Ms. Tameka Dandridge. Direct inquiries to Ms. Dandridge
at 517-351-8315 (phone) or <A HREF="mailto:tameka_dandridge@fws.gov";>tameka_dandridge@fws.gov</A> (e-mail).

How Are These Populations Currently Listed?

    Table 1 provides current listing information. Also, the List, which
covers all listed species, is available on our Internet site at <A HREF="http://endangered.fws.gov/wildlife.html#Species";>
http://endangered.fws.gov/wildlife.html#Species</A>.

Definitions

    To help you submit information about the species we are reviewing,
we provide the following definitions:
    Species includes any species or subspecies of fish, wildlife, or
plant, and any distinct population segment of any species of
vertebrate, which interbreeds when mature;
    Endangered species means any species that is in danger of
extinction throughout all or a significant portion of its range; and
    Threatened species means any species that is likely to become an
endangered species within the foreseeable future throughout all or a
significant portion of its range.

How Do We Determine Whether a Species Is Endangered or Threatened?

    Section 4(a)(1) of the Act establishes that we determine whether a
species is endangered or threatened based on one or more of the five
following factors: (A) The present or threatened destruction,
modification, or curtailment of its habitat or range; (B)
Overutilization for commercial, recreational, scientific, or
educational purposes; (C) Disease or predation; (D) The inadequacy of
existing regulatory mechanisms; or (E) Other natural or manmade factors
affecting its continued existence. Section 4(a)(1) of the Act requires
that our determination be made on the basis of the best scientific and
commercial data available.

What Could Happen as a Result of Our Review?

    For the species under review, if we find new information that
indicates a change in classification may be warranted, we may propose a
new rule that could do one of the following: (a) Reclassify the species
from threatened to endangered (uplist); (b) reclassify the species from
endangered to threatened (downlist); or (c) remove the species from the
List (delist).
    If we determine that a change in classification is not warranted,
then the species will remain on the List under its current status.

Authority

    We publish this document under the authority of the Endangered
Species Act of 1973, as amended (16 U.S.C. 1531 et seq.).

    Dated: February 20, 2009.
Lynn M. Lewis,
Assistant Regional Director, Ecological Services, Midwest Region.
[FR Doc. E9-5805 Filed 3-17-09; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4310-55-P

657 Spartan Avenue,  East Lansing, MI  48823
(517) 332-6971; ajs@sagady.com