Economic War Among Great Lake States

PURSUANT TO OHIO SENATE
CONCURRENT RESOLUTION 21

BE IT RESOLVED, That the Clerk of the Senate
shall transmit duly authenticated copies of this
Resolution to the Speaker and Clerk of the
United States House of Representatives, to
the President and President Pro Tempore and
Secretary of the United States Senate, to the
Governors and Lieutenant Governors and
appropriate officers of the legislatures of all
other states as well as interested parties.

---------------------------------

January 21, 1997

Friends:

More and more legislators, policy makers, and
economists have growing concerns regarding the
escalation of the economic development "incentive
wars" between the states.

Nationwide - billions of dollars of state and
local government resources are expended each
year to entice businesses to move from one
location to another or not to move at all.  This
corporate manipulation of government officials
through the bidding wars creates little if anything
in the aggregate and in the long run weakens
both our state and national economies.  Such
wasteful practices drain the productive use of
resources from education, tax relief  and other
public services vital to a strong economy.  In
many cases, federal programs enable these
incentive bidding wars such as federal tax free
bonds being used to lure professional sports
teams to new facilities in other states.

We, in the Ohio Legislature have debated and
unanimously passed  the enclosed Senate - House
Concurrent Resolution.  This resolution supports
a first step!  All of us working together to get
the federal government to identify and eliminate
programs which turn states against states.  Then,
individual states can work on solutions and
de-escalate the wars between us.  Our Ohio
Senate Resolution supports U.S. House
Resolution 1842 sponsored by U.S. Congressman
Marty Meehan (Massachusetts) and U.S.
Congressman Bob Franks (New Jersey)
during the 104th Congress.  We hope you will
consider encouraging such a resolution during
upcoming sessions in your state to encourage
your congressional representatives to support
this movement in Congress to eliminate these
programs.

This issue is receiving national media attention
as well as local coverage on a regular basis.  A
recent article written by Charles Mahtesian which
appeared in "Governing Magazine" November
1996 is a classic example.  I am pleased to report
that U.S. Senators Alfonse D'Amato and Edward
Kennedy and several Congressmen have asked
the Comptroller General of the United States
to undertake a study to identify the federal
programs that can fuel state to state competition.
The momentum is building but we need to gather
support to eliminate the programs once they are
identified.  A copy of their letter is available
upon request.

We have also formed an "economic development
network" on the internet in order to discuss these
issues and exchange relative information.  Currently
over 1,300 elected officials, economists, think
tanks, media persons and interested parties have
participated.  If you would like to join us, or
recommend others, please contact my office
through any of the following:

sen.horn@ix.netcom.com
http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/2817
(P) 	(614) 466 4538
(F)	(614) 466 7018

Thank you for taking the time to review this letter.
As you can see, this issue is now on the radar screen
and will only continue to escalate unless we take
action.  Many national organizations such as NCSL
and CSG have formed standing committees and/or
task forces to address these issues.  Please contact
me or my Aide, Ray DiRossi if you would like to
discuss this matter further.

Sincerely,

Charles F. Horn
Chairman - Ohio Senate
Economic Development Committee

*If you would like any of the following - I would
be more than happy to pass them on to you.

Enclosures:	Ohio Senate Resolution 21
		Governing Magazine article
		Letter to Comptroller General