NOAA Announces FY 1998 Budget (fwd)

Contact:  	Lori Arguelles	   			FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
                	(202) 482-5647				2/6/97
               	Scott Rayder (Scott.C.Rayder@noaa.gov)
		(202) 482-3137

NOAA ANNOUNCES FY 1998 BUDGET

	The Commerce Department's National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
today announced its FY 1998 budget, which is designed to help reach the
Clinton Administration's goal of balancing the federal budget by the year
2002.  The NOAA request of  $2 billion reflects an increase of $78.5
million, a 4 percent increase over last year's request.

	"This budget reflects the need to downsize the federal government, while
at the same time preserving the Administration's priorities in sustaining
investments in science and technology and environmental protection," said
D. James Baker, Commerce Department under secretary for oceans and
atmosphere.  "We have carefully scrutinized NOAA's mission of  prediction
and protection in our natural environment, and used  the President's
priorities to determine how we can best distribute our budgetary
resources."

	These increases in priority program areas are offset by reductions in
other areas totaling $174 million, which leaves the NOAA budget with a net
increase of  $78.5 million.  Areas where savings are being realized include
construction projects that have been completed and completion of the
current series of polar satellites, along with reductions in some other
programs.

	"NOAA has always contributed to efforts to make government work smarter
and we will continue to do so," Baker added.  "Our investment in the
convergence of civilian and military satellite programs is a prime example
of how we can do more with less."

	The Administration has proposed a new Capital Assets Acquisition Account,
representing $503 million of NOAA's 1998 budget request, that will include
funding
for current projects.  Also, advance appropriations of $723 million within
this account have been requested for FY 99 to complete these projects.

	"We believe that multi-year funding will provide the certainty to allow us
to more effectively plan and manage these major acquisition projects.   By
providing the resources necessary to maintain essential services,
facilitating continued progress in critical investment areas, and
addressing statutory obligations, the President's FY98 request for NOAA
affirms the importance of the agency's role in sustaining our nation's
investment in science and technology and environmental protection," Baker
said.

Highlights of the FY 98 budget include:
--$22.5 million increase for continued investments in a converged civilian
and military polar orbiting satellite program, which will ultimately save
taxpayers more than $1 billion over the life of the program.
--$66 million increase for continued development of next generation
geostationary weather satellites that provide weather forecasters with
vital information on severe weather events, including thunderstorms and
hurricanes.
--$22 million increase for NOAA's role in the Clinton Administration's
Clean Water initiative, which includes $18 million for state grants,
technical assistance and demonstration projects under the Coastal Zone
Management Act and $4 million for the Community-Right-to-Know Project on
toxins.
--$16.6 million increase for restoring the health and wealth of America's
fisheries and protecting species in danger of extinction, including West
Coast salmon.  Funds will also be used to carry out mandates under the
newly authorized Magnuson-Stevens Fisheries Conservation Act.
--$5 million increase to ensure systems critical for production of climate
forecasts that benefit all sectors of the economy by providing an advanced
picture of likely weather patterns.
--$11 million for restoration to base funds to allow the National Weather
Service to maintain functions necessary to perform its primary mission of
 forecasting weather to protect life and property.
--$17 million increase for deployment of the National Weather Service
Advanced Weather Interactive Processing System, which will allow
forecasters to integrate a variety of vital weather information in a
glance.
--The transfer of the Aeronautical Charting Unit to the Federal Aviation
Administration, which will be accomplished over a two-year time frame.

 NOAA's FY 98 budget proposal is available in its entirety on NOAA's
 Internet web site at:  http://www.noaa.gov

###

NOTE:  NOAA constituents can send an e-mail to Scott.C.Rayder@noaa.gov, or
fax to (202) 501-2953 to get releases and other material electronically
rather than by fax transmission.