What's happening in your state?

By now I hope you are familiar with the issue “The
Economic Wars Between the States.”  This issue is
now receiving national media attention as well as
attention from the U.S. Congress and the General
Accounting Office.  To keep up with the rapidly
occurring developments we are updating Senator
Horn’s web-site as frequently as possible with
reviews, abstracts, articles, studies, publications
and editorials on these and related issues.  The
address is:

http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/2817

Every week we make new contacts in a different
state, whether it’s a State Senator from Florida or
a Congressman from New Jersey or a County
Commissioner from some county - the interest is
growing rapidly.  The most frequently asked question
is What is happening in my state or in neighboring
states?  Who can I contact?  The problem is it is
very difficult for us to keep track of this
information in a concise manner.
Actions in other states that we are aware of:

Indiana: The Interstate Business Protection Compact.
 Terms of the Compact recognize that unnecessary
interstate relocation of businesses present problems
to the economic vitality of every state.  The
Compact calls for entered parties to agree to
establish standards for protecting existing
businesses and refrain from providing relocation
incentives at the expense of other members.

Nebraska: The Review Incentives Program Committee is
currently reviewing the costs and benefits of tax
incentives granted to businesses.  The Committee is
examining tax shifts resulting from incentives, the
impact of incentives on public infrastructure and
community public service funding needs, and impact
on employers and employees of firms receiving
benefits versus those employers and employees not
receiving tax incentives in an effort to determine
the success of Nebraska’s incentive program.

Minnesota: Minneapolis Federal Reserve Bank economic
analysts Melvin Burstein and Arthur Rolnick argued
in the June edition of the Bank’s quarterly
publication, “The Region,” that Congress should act
to end economic warfare between states for sports
franchises and other businesses.

Ohio: Last week, the Ohio Legislature’s Economic
Development Study Advisory Committee met to discuss
the overall impact of Ohio’s entire economic
development and business assistance portfolio.
Probable issues for investigation include the affect
of incentives and abatements on Ohio’s public
schools and infrastructure funding, urban sprawl and
the loss of agricultural land associated with site
incentives, and the success of development programs
in creating and improving job quality and business
expansion in the state.

As familiarity with incentive wars grows, we have
received an increasing number inquiries regarding
individual state mitigating efforts across the
United States.  In an effort to maintain accurate
and informative records we would be greatly
appreciative of any information pertaining to
current or proposed efforts in your state to
investigate or mitigate the wasteful economic
warfare between the states.

We will post this information on the web-site after
we have compiled it.  Thank you in advance for you
insight as to what’s happening in your state?

Ray DiRossi
Aide to Senator Horn
http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/2817