Timber Rattler Follow-up/Correction (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 22:23:01 -0600
From: Gary Casper <gsc@csd.uwm.edu>

Folks:

I'd like to clarify what's needed for public comment on
the Wisconsin Timber Rattlesnake listing, as some
comments being received are not usable without a
position statement, name and address. Also, some have
asked me to give all info here, so they don't have to
go to the Web site. Bare bones info on commenting by
E-mail follows:

PROTECTION OPTIONS:
A) to list the Timber Rattlesnake as a Protected
   Wild Animal, or
B) to list it as a Threatened Species.
Both options will eliminate hunting, which will afford
some level of protection. Listing as a Threatened Species
will add providing some protection of essential habitat
(especially den sites), and will allow the expenditure
of monies for protection and recovery.

WHAT YOU CAN DO:
Please express your support for listing the Timber Rattlesnake
as either a Protected Wild Animal or as a Threatened Species
by E-mailing Robert Hay at HAYR@dnr.state.wi.us.
Please note: Your message MUST contain your name and mailing
address, and you MUST say what you are supporting (i.e. "I
support the Threatened Species listing" or "I support the
Protected Wild Animal listing"). Please MAKE SURE a name
and mailing address appears in the message body. Please
do not ask for a reply from Robert Hay unless absolutely
necessary (he is swamped with work preparing
for the hearings).

Deadline for receipt of public comment is March 31, 1997.

More info is at:
http://www.mpm.edu/collect/vertzo/herp/timber/factshe1.html
Gary S. Casper
    http://www.mpm.edu/collect/garyc.html
Coordinator, Wisconsin Herpetological Atlas Project
    http://www.mpm.edu/collect/vertzo/herp/atlas/welcome.html
Chair, Great Lakes Declining Amphibians Working Group
    http://www.mpm.edu/collect/vertzo/herp/daptf.html
please direct correspondance for Gary S. Casper to:
Vertebrate Zoology Section, Milwaukee Public Museum
800 W. Wells St., Milwaukee, WI 53233
voice (414)278-2766   fax (414)278-6100   E-mail gsc@csd.uwm.edu