EPA report on endocrine disruptors

From: GROUP PRESS 202-260-4355 <PRESS@epamail.epa.gov>
To: Multiple recipients of list <epa-press@webster.rtpnc.epa.gov>
Subject: PR INTERIM REPORT ON CURRENT RESEARCH ABOUT ENDO. DISRUPTING

For Release:   Thursday, March 13, 1997

EPA Releases Interim Report on Current
Research About Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency today is releasing an interim
review of existing scientific research on endocrine disruptors --
certain chemicals and other environmental agents suspected of
disrupting the hormonal or endocrine systems of humans and animals.
The report concludes that animals and wildlife can be adversely
affected by these chemicals and that despite limited data on the
effects on humans, the potential risks, especially to young children,
warrant further research.
Entitled the "Special Report on Environmental Endocrine Disruption: An
Effects Assessment and Analysis," the interim assessment includes a
review of nearly 300 peer-reviewed studies that examine the effects of
a number of chemicals on the endocrine systems of humans, laboratory
animals and wildlife.  The report was prepared by a technical panel of
EPA scientists assembled by the Agency's Risk Assessment Forum.

"The studies we reviewed demonstrate that exposure to certain
endocrine disrupting chemicals can lead to disturbing health effects
in animals, including cancer, sterility, and developmental problems,
among others," said Dr. Robert Huggett, EPA Assistant Administrator
for the Office of Research and Development.

"The findings contained in our assessment send a strong signal for
more research on the effects of endocrine disrupting chemicals,
particularly into their possible effects on humans, where we currently
do not have enough information to conclusively determine the potential
risks of existing exposures," said Dr. Huggett.  "At EPA we have
already begun to prioritize our research efforts so as to build on our
knowledge of these effects and improve our understanding of potential
implications for our children and our future."

Under the 1996 Food Quality and Protection Act and the newly amended
Safe Drinking Water Act, EPA has recently established an advisory
committee with representatives from industry and other major
stakeholders to develop a cooperative screening and testing program
designed to identify chemicals that can disrupt the endocrine system
and determine the risk they may pose to human health and the
environment.  The Agency and its scientists also are developing a
national research strategy to help establish priorities within the
Office of Research and Development, provide a framework for regulatory
programs within EPA and coordinate efforts among other Federal

agencies through the President's Office of Science and Technology
Policy.  Based on this draft strategy, work on various aspects of
endocrine disruptors is ongoing at EPA's research and development
laboratories, and throughout various offices and programs.

Additionally, in an effort to tap scientific expertise outside the
Agency, the Office of Research and Development has plans to award a
series of competitive research grants on endocrine disruption to
academic and not-for-profit institutions during fiscal year 1997.  The
Agency also is funding a more extensive effort by the National Academy
of Sciences to examine the scientific literature on endocrine-related
chemicals in the environment and publish that review later this year.

The first part of EPA's interim assessment provides a general
discussion on the endocrine system and how chemical or other potential
"endocrine disruptors" may alter the normal function of hormones in
humans and animals.  Subsequent chapters summarize the findings of
studies that examine the link between endocrine disrupting chemicals
and a range of health effects, including cancer, harm to male and
female reproductive systems, and thyroid damage.  While these effects
have been seen in numerous animal studies, the report notes that, with
few exceptions, evidence of these kinds of effects in humans is
limited.  Exceptions mentioned in the report include incidents of
occupational exposure and exposure of pregnant women to the drug DES
(diethylstilbestrol).

Specifically the report highlights the need for more information on
the intensity, frequency, and duration of human exposure to chemicals
that have been demonstrated to disrupt the endocrine systems of
animals.  The report notes the need for more research on the effects
of chemical mixtures with endocrine disrupting potential, and calls
for a strengthening of specific cause-and-effect data.  In the
wildlife studies reviewed, the report concludes that it should be
determined whether the adverse effects seen in animals at various
sites are confined to isolated areas or are representative of more
widespread conditions.  Other recommendations and data gaps identified
in the report address the need for chemical screening guidelines, and
for more exploration into the potential effects of endocrine
disruptors in sensitive populations, including children.  Also
included in the report is an interim position from EPA's Science
Policy Council that states that the Agency will use evidence of
endocrine disruption to prioritize testing needs, which will improve
EPA's ability to reduce risks and may lead to regulatory action.

To obtain a hardcopy of EPA's interim assessment,  reporters can
contact Denise Kearns at 202-260-4376.  The public can order the
report from EPA's Office of Research and Development at 513-569-7562.
It also is available on the Internet at http://www.epa.gov/ORD/
whatsnew.htm.

PO Box 39  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971 (voice); (517) 332-8987 (fax)