Graduate Research Opportunity

Please bring to the attention of qualified, aspiring graduate
students.

We currently are seeking two Ph.D. and two Master's level
students to work on fully-funded projects involving both
fundamental and applied limnology.  Projects will commence this
summer.  One project involves refinement of water quality models
for drinking water reservoirs.  Specifically, students on this
project will measure the necessary site-specific rate
coefficients relating to phytoplankton growth and nitrogen and
phosphorus transformations and will investigate sorption of
phosphorus onto clay particles.  A second topic of research is
early diagenesis in lake sediments.  This doctoral project aims
to refine our mechanistic understanding of early diagenesis to
the point where we can reliably model sediment water exchange of
nutrients and trace metals.  Students will work under the
direction of Dr. Martin Auer or Dr. Noel Urban in the Department
of Civil & Environmental Engineering at Michigan Technological
University.  Doctoral candidates from any related field are
encouraged to apply; M.S. candidates with engineering
backgrounds are particularly encouraged to apply.  Interested
students may contact either Dr. Auer or Urban by e-mail
(mtauer@mtu.edu or nurban@mtu.edu), phone (906-487-2799 or
906-487-3640) or fax (906-487-3292) for further information and
application materials.  Michigan Technological University (1400
Townsend Dr., Houghton, MI 49931) is located near the shores of
Lake Superior on the Keweenaw Peninsula of Upper Michigan.
Information about this position and links to information about
Michigan Technological University may be found at
http://www.civil.mtu.edu/~nurban/gradres.htm