GLIN-announce guidelines

Dear GLIN-announce subscribers,

We've had a request to clarify GLIN-announce@great-lakes.net use and
readership. So, I thought it may be a good time to reiterate the
guidelines to all.

> >1) What is your approximate readership?

About 400 subscribers receive GLIN announce messages, some of these
subscribers are representatives for an agency or organization who then
pass along items of interest to the rest of the staff; other subscribers
are actually automated lists themselves, who then pass all GLIN-announce
mail along to X number of others automatically; others are individuals,
policy makers, researchers, educators, business and industry personnel,
and the general public. While much of the GLIN-announce community lives in
the Great Lakes states and provinces, Washington and Ottawa, others also
live in other watersheds across the world who are interested in Great
Lakes issues.

Mostly we use the list to:

1. Publicize events, availability of new research reports and other
publications
2. Advertise job openings
3. Alert others to major happenings in Congress, federal agencies
4. Call for papers or speeches
5. Announce new grants available
6. New laws in the states or provinces or federal governments
7. News from federal, state or provincial agencies
8. Announce research findings
9. Make other major announcements of interest to our broad community of
subscribers.

We try to stay away from issues that are very parochial, local or
otherwise limited in potential interest. Advertising and selling products
is not encouraged. We do encourage people to be thoughtful and considerate
when posting.

GLIN-announce is NOT a place for conversation. If you would like to reply
to a posting, please send it only to the person who mailed the original
message.

You can publish a message on glin-announce -- you do not have to send it
to a glin staff person to publish for you. Simply address your email to:

glin-announce@great-lakes.net

If, however, you have a question about the appropriateness of a potential
posting, you may ask a glin staff member to help you.

The GLIN homepage is located at http://www.great-lakes.net

Much more information on the Great Lakes region is available there. Also,
more information on the GLIN-announce list serve is available as well.
>From the GLIN lhomepage, select 'glin-announce' -- this will link you to the
archives of all messages sent on the list, more info on this list and
others, and housekeeping information such as how to join a GLIN list.

How it works:

GLIN-announce is managed by an automated list server,'majordomo' - it runs
on the machine 'great-lakes.net' If you have any housekeeping items, such
as changing your address, deleting your address or adding someone else to
the list, finding out who is on the list or what other lists we run, etc.,
please correspond with majordomo@great-lakes.net.

Please do not send such requests to glin-announce! It is an important part
of list-serve etiquette that we don't bother others with our subcription
information or general confusion.

For help:

Send an email to: majordomo@great-lakes.net

in the body of the email type: help

When majordomo receives this email it will send you a reply with a list
of all the commands it understands, including, how to add someone or delete
someone.

Then, once you know the command you want to send, send that command in
the body of a message to majordomo and you will have your request taken
care of. It may look like this:

to: majordomo@great-lakes.net

subscribe glin-announce

(this message, once sent, would subscribe the email address of the person
sending it to the list). Unsubscribing is a simple as replacing the word
subscribe with unsubscribe.

If this is still a bit unclear, please e-mail a question and we'll be
happy to help you -- you may reach me at cratza@glc.org.

Thank you, with your cooperation we can keep GLIN-announce a successful
and useful tool for Great Lakes communication,

Carol Ratza
GLIN Director