NISA funds

	Dear NISA Contacts:

	It's been a while since I've communicated to you about NISA. But, as you
know, passing a bill is just a first step toward protecting a resource.  Next we
have to drum up the financial resources to allow the agencies to do the work
they are newly authorized to carry out. (The next step after that is to closely
watch implementation and make sure that it is as effective as possible). The
funding step could be every bit as difficult as gaining enactment of the
legislation, if you can imagine that.  The good news (I hope) is, once again,
you can help.

	The bill passed too late for agencies to include new NISA programs in
their budgets for fiscal year 1998, so it is up to Congress if funds are to flow
to these activities.  I'm writing to inform you that the two lead sponsors of
the legislation, Senator Glenn in the Senate, and Congressman LaTourette in the
House, are circulating to their colleagues letters addressed to the
Appropriations leadership supporting adequate funding levels for NISA programs
within NOAA, the FWS, the Corps of Engineers, and Coast Guard.  The more
Congressional signatures these letter have on them, the more they will be heeded
by appropriators.

	If you have an interest in seeing NISA implemented sooner rather than
later, and it is appropriate for you to do so, now is a good time to contact
your Senators and Representative to urge them to sign the letters.  We are
targeting cosponsors of the legislation, nationally, but any ol' Member of
Congress would do just fine.  If they are not cosponsors, they should contact
Glenn or LaTourette for a copy of the NISA appropriations letter to review.

	this is on a fast track, especially in the House.  I hope everyone is
well.  I'll keep you posted of progress.

	Allegra Cangelosi