Need letters supporting Great Lakes air toxicant settlement

Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 15:33:59 -0400
From: FStadler@nrdc.org (Felice Stadler)
Subject: air-mail: URGENT: support air pollution lawsuit agreeement
To: air-mail@igc.apc.org
Sender: owner-air-mail@igc.apc.org

     URGENT!! -- DEADLINE APRIL 24, 1997

The Sierra Club Great Lakes Program, working with SCLDF, NWF, and Cheapeake
Bay Foundation have reached a settlement on EPA not implementing the Clean Air
Act to protect the citizens and Great Waters of the US under section 112(m) of
the CAA.

This is a good agreement and EPA has agreed to produce the required
Great Waters report this summer and a determination this year whether they
will control dioxin, PCBs, lead and several pesticides in the Great Lakes and
coastal waters.  We hope to have regulations in place by Nov. 2000.

Toxic air pollution is the largest source of these pollutants in Lake
Michigan, several other Great Lakes, and many coastal areas.

Industry has mounted an all out effort to squash this consent decree.
We need your personal letters today supporting the consent decree
before the deadline on April 24th.

We need you to send the letter below to EPA supporting the agreement.  You can
email it to thrift-mike@epa.gov.

Please pass this on to other groups.  You can comment as individuals, but not
as the Sierra Club, since we are part of the consent decree.

Let me know if you want more information on the decision.

Thank you,

Brett Hulsey
Great Lakes Program Director

Send by April 24, 1997

Michael W. Thrift
Office of General Counsel
US EPA
401 M Street, SW
Washington, DC  20460

Dear Mr. Thrift,

We are writing to support the proposed consent decree with the Sierra
Club, NWF, and CBF on the Great Waters Lawsuit, FR Doc. 97-7372.  This lawsuit
is vital to protect the families, the environment, and the future of the
coastal communities of this country.

This action will help control the largest source of unregulated water
pollution--toxic rain that falls from the sky.  The International Joint
Commission estimates that over 50% of the PCB falling into Lake Michigan come
from the air.

In addition to causing cancer, these PCBs build up in the fish and threaten
over 5 million fishing families in the Great Lakes alone.  Recent studies from
the New England Journal of Medicine show that children whose mothers ate just
2-3 fish meals per month had lower IQs, and were two years behind in school
because of the pollution dose they received in the womb.

This is a problem in hundreds of water bodies all over the country and the EPA
should act immediate to control toxic air pollution from all sources.

Please approve this decree and get on with the business of providing clean air
and water for our kids, our families and our future.

Thank you,

=====

[Federal Register: March 25, 1997 (Volume 62, Number 57)]
[Notices]
[Page 14139-14140]
>From the Federal Register Online via GPO Access [wais.access.gpo.gov]
[DOCID:fr25mr97-83]

ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY

[FRL-5801-6]

Proposed Consent Decree, Clean Air Act Citizen Suit

AGENCY: Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

ACTION: Notice of proposed consent decree; request for public comment.

SUMMARY: In accordance with section 113(g) of the Clean Air Act as
amended (``Act''), 42 U.S.C. 7413(g), notice is hereby given of a
proposed consent decree in the following case: Sierra Club, National
Wildlife Federation, Chesapeake Bay Foundation, Inc. v. Carol M.
Browner, Administrator, United States Environmental Protection Agency,
No. 96-1680 (D.C. Cir.). This action was filed under section 304(a)(2)
of the Act, 42 U.S.C. 7604(a)(2), contesting EPA's alleged failure to
meet mandatory deadlines under sections 112(m)(5) and (m)(6) of the
Act, 42 U.S.C. 7412(m)(5) and (m)(6), which concern the atmospheric
deposition of hazardous air pollutants to the Great Lakes, the
Chesapeake Bay, Lake Champlain and the coastal waters of the United
States. The proposed consent decree provides that EPA shall take
certain actions under those provisions in accordance with specified
schedules.
    For a period of thirty (30) days following the date of publication
of this notice, the Agency will receive written comments relating to
the proposed consent decree from persons who were not named as parties
to the litigation in question. EPA or the Department of

[[Page 14140]]

Justice (``DOJ'') may withhold or withdraw consent to the proposed
consent decree if the comments disclose facts or circumstances that
indicate that such consent is inappropriate, improper, inadequate, or
inconsistent with the requirements of the Act. Unless EPA or DOJ
determines, following the comment period, that consent is
inappropriate, the final consent decree will establish deadlines for
specific actions under sections 112 (m)(5) and (m)(6) of the Act.
    A copy of the proposed consent decree was lodged with the Clerk of
the United States District Court for the District of Columbia on March
14, 1997. A copy of the proposed consent decree is also available from
Phyllis J. Cochran, Air and Radiation Division (2344), Office of
General Counsel, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, 401 M Street,
SW., Washington, DC 20460, (202) 260-7606. Written comments should be
sent to Michael W. Thrift at the above address and must be submitted on
or before April 24, 1997.

    Dated: March 18, 1997.
Scott C. Fulton,
Acting General Counsel.
[FR Doc. 97-7372 Filed 3-24-97; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 6560-50-M

PO Box 39  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971 (voice); (517) 332-8987 (fax)